Cable Car and Counterweigh- A Problem of Tension, Friction, and Kinematics

In summary, the cable car needs to pull an 1500 kg counterweight up the other side of the hill, and it has two brakes to control its speed. If either of the brakes fail, the runaway car's speed is 9800 m/s at the bottom of the hill.
Phoenixtears

Homework Statement

The 2000 kg cable car shown in Figure P8.39 descends a 200 m high hill. In addition to its brakes, the cable car controls its speed by pulling an 1500 kg counterweight up the other side of the hill. The rolling friction of both the cable car and the counterweight are negligible.
(Image attached)

(a) How much braking force does the cable car need to descend at constant speed?
________ N
(b) One day the brakes fail just as the cable car leaves the top on its downward journey. What is the runaway car's speed at the bottom of the hill?
________ m/s

Homework Equations

Kinematics equations
2nd Law statements
Fk= (Mu)(N)

The Attempt at a Solution

A) Well, since it says a constant speed, acceleration equals 0. So I made a 0 in my 2nd law statement:
(2000)(0)= T- (2000)(9.8)sin30
T=9800

This was not the answer. Where did I go wrong?

B) I began by drawing force diagrams and writing out the 2nd law statements. I then combined the two equations (for the counterweight and the car) by solving one of them for T. I ended with this equation:

Aa= Ba + Bgsin@ - Agsin@

Then I realized that the counterweight basically fails right? But then this problem wouldn't make much sense. So I continued on as if just the car's brakes fail. Solving for a. My a turned out to be really high (23.65), but, I continued on my way. I drew a kinematics table, trying to find the final velocity and used the 30 degrees and the height to find the distance traveled, which turned out to be 400. So, I used the equation Vf^2= V0^2 + 2ax:

Vf^2= 0^2 + 2(-23.65)(-400)

Vf= 97.3

This was wrong as well. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

~Phoenix

Attachments

• Car and Counterweight.gif
    Car and Counterweight.gif
    5 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Post the diagram.

Yikes, looks like that attachment didn't work. I'm posting it now. Thanks!

Phoenixtears said:

Homework Statement

The coefficient of kinetic friction between the m = 2.6 kg block in Figure P8.35 and the table is 0.28. What is the acceleration of the 2.6 kg block? (Image attached)
This doesn't match the diagram.

Also, it's a little hard to decipher equations like
Aa= Ba + Bgsin@ - Agsin@
..since it's not immediately obvious what A & B are. (Forces? masses?)

Doc Al said:
This doesn't match the diagram.
Oh, great- I think my computer's blowing up. Sorry about that. Figures..
Doc Al said:
..what A & B are. (Forces? masses?)

A= mass of car
B= mass of counterweight

The force (being tension) was substituted out.

Phoenixtears said:
A) Well, since it says a constant speed, acceleration equals 0. So I made a 0 in my 2nd law statement:
(2000)(0)= T- (2000)(9.8)sin30
T=9800
It looks like you are analyzing the forces on the cable car. But you left out the braking force, which is what you need to solve for.

You also need a similar equation for the counterweight. Solve them together to get the braking force.

Doc Al said:
It looks like you are analyzing the forces on the cable car. But you left out the braking force, which is what you need to solve for.

You also need a similar equation for the counterweight. Solve them together to get the braking force.

I see what you're saying. For some reason I considered the tension force to be enough (from the 3rd law). So now I have the tension force of the counterweight... could I not use this to solve for the total force, which would be the answer (because, as you said, I need to analyze the braking force, not the cable car force. Which, of course, I would do incorrectly :rolleyes:)

Thanks, I'll try that right now!

What is a cable car?

A cable car is a mode of transportation that uses a continuously moving cable to pull a vehicle along a track. The cable is usually powered by an engine and the car is attached to the cable through a grip mechanism.

How does a cable car work?

A cable car uses the principles of tension, friction, and kinematics to operate. The cable is pulled by an engine, creating tension in the cable. This tension allows the car to move along the track. Friction between the grip mechanism and the cable ensures that the car stays attached to the cable. Kinematics is used to calculate the speed and acceleration of the car.

What is the role of counterweight in a cable car?

The counterweight in a cable car serves to balance the weight of the car and its passengers. It is usually located on the opposite side of the track and moves in the opposite direction of the car. This counterweight helps to reduce the amount of energy needed to move the car and also helps to maintain tension in the cable.

What factors affect the tension in a cable car?

The tension in a cable car is affected by several factors, including the weight of the car and its passengers, the speed and acceleration of the car, and the angle of the track. Additionally, external factors such as wind and weather conditions can also impact the tension in the cable.

What are some potential problems with tension, friction, and kinematics in a cable car?

Some potential problems with tension, friction, and kinematics in a cable car include excessive tension in the cable, which can cause it to snap, and too much or too little friction between the cable and the grip mechanism, which can affect the stability and speed of the car. Incorrect calculations of speed and acceleration using kinematics can also lead to safety concerns for passengers.