What is the latest gossip on science

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: As a result, they were underestimating the amount of something by a lot. But that's all I can say without giving away the punchline.In summary, a high ranking physicist was incorrectly estimating the quantity of something by a lot, until an independent researcher brought their error to their attention. They shot him down a few times in a row, claiming the method of analysis had been checked and vetted by some big wheels, so they were confident of it. When I heard what they were mis-estimating, I raised both eyebrows.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
What is the latest gossip on science in general

Physics news on Phys.org
I am looking for the latest on cutting edge science, who is talking about what.

Thanks Greg great source

http://phys.org/news/2015-04-asteroid-tc4-earth-october.html

On Oct. 12, 2017, the asteroid 2012 TC4 is slated to whizz by Earth dangerously close. The exact distance of its closest approach is uncertain, as well as its size. Based on observations in October 2012 when the space rock missed our planet, astronomers estimate that its size could vary from 12 to 40 meters. The meteor that exploded over the Russian city of Chelyabinsk in February 2013, injuring 1,500 people and damaging over 7,000 buildings, was about 20 meters wide. Thus, the impact of 2012 TC4 could be even more devastating. "It is something to keep an eye on," Judit Györgyey-Ries, astronomer at the University of Texas' McDonald Observatory, told astrowatch.net. "We could see an airburst maybe broken windows, depending on where it hits."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-04-asteroid-tc4-earth-october.html#jCp

If was up to me i would be chasing this asteroid:nb)

Based on orbital data, it should be not so far away from Earth this month. Could be the best opportunity to get new observations, which would allow very precise predictions for 2017.

I'm sure astronomers are watching this.

mfb said:
Based on orbital data, it should be not so far away from Earth this month. Could be the best opportunity to get new observations, which would allow very precise predictions for 2017.

I'm sure astronomers are watching this.
Would there be time to land something on it like the Rosetta probe last year? I'm guessing probably not.

In 2.5 years? Only if they find a spare copy and ignore the difference between a comet with enough mass for an orbit and a tiny asteroid with essentially zero gravity. Planning for Rosetta started 12 years before it launched.
If it would be even smaller, NASA would have been interested. They decided to pick up a big rock from the surface of a larger asteroid now instead of bringing a full small asteroid to earth.

Likes dlgoff
I have some awesome gossip, but I can't relate it because some high ranking physicists would be embarrassed. However, I will say that they were analyzing certain data incorrectly, causing them to mis-estimate the quantity of something by a lot, until an independent researcher brought their error to their attention. They shot him down a few times in a row, claiming the method of analysis had been checked and vetted by some big wheels, so they were confident of it. When I heard what they were mis-estimating, I raised both eyebrows. I can't tell you what it was, but it's kind of a big deal these past few years. And if anyone asks, you didn't hear it from me.

You are a tease Zooby

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32365888

French regulators have been informed of "manufacturing anomalies" in components "particularly important for safety" at Flamanville 3 power plant, in Normandy.

The reactor is similar to one planned for Hinkley Point, in Somerset.

EDF Energy - involved in both projects - said a new series of tests was under way and it was working with regulators.

An investigation revealed potential weaknesses in the steel used to make a safety casing around the reactor at Flamanville, near Cherbourg.

zoobyshoe said:
I have some awesome gossip, but I can't relate it because some high ranking physicists would be embarrassed. However, I will say that they were analyzing certain data incorrectly, causing them to mis-estimate the quantity of something by a lot, until an independent researcher brought their error to their attention. They shot him down a few times in a row, claiming the method of analysis had been checked and vetted by some big wheels, so they were confident of it. When I heard what they were mis-estimating, I raised both eyebrows. I can't tell you what it was, but it's kind of a big deal these past few years. And if anyone asks, you didn't hear it from me.

Is this cosmological in origin? Number of SN? Nobel prize invalidated kind of rumor?

Hepth said:
Is this cosmological in origin? Number of SN? Nobel prize invalidated kind of rumor?
No, it has to do with the quantity of a particular substance on earth. It's not iron, but let's pretend it's iron because the amount of the thing in question can only be estimated just like the amount of iron can only be estimated: they way they were estimating the amount of 'iron' on Earth was incorrect, leading to a non-trivial mis-estimation of that amount. That is: they had good data, but they were using the wrong math tools to analyze it.

Water?

Gold or other precious/strategic metal?

MarkJW said:
Water?

Gold or other precious/strategic metal?
It's not a guessing game. I only brought it up because Wolram asked for "science gossip." Not a usual combination of concepts. But it just so happened I was in possession of a story fitting the bill.

zoobyshoe said:
It's not a guessing game.

But I was going to guess unobtainium!

Related to What is the latest gossip on science

1. What are some recent groundbreaking discoveries in the field of science?

Some recent groundbreaking discoveries in the field of science include the first ever image of a black hole, the successful cloning of monkeys, and the development of gene editing technology CRISPR.

2. What is the latest news on climate change and its impact on the environment?

The latest news on climate change includes the increasing global temperatures, melting polar ice caps, and the effects of extreme weather events such as hurricanes and wildfires. Scientists continue to study and monitor these changes in order to better understand and address the issue.

3. What are the most promising advancements in medical research?

Some of the most promising advancements in medical research include the development of personalized medicine, immunotherapy for cancer treatment, and the use of artificial intelligence in healthcare. These advancements have the potential to greatly improve patient outcomes and quality of life.

4. What are the latest developments in space exploration?

Recent developments in space exploration include the successful landing of the InSight probe on Mars, the discovery of water on the moon, and the launch of new missions to explore other planets and moons in our solar system. Scientists are also working on technologies to send humans to Mars in the near future.

5. How is technology shaping the future of scientific research?

Technology is playing a crucial role in scientific research, from advanced equipment and tools used in experiments and data analysis, to the development of artificial intelligence and machine learning for faster and more accurate research. Technology is also aiding in the collaboration and sharing of research findings among scientists around the world.