Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the latest gossip on science

1. Apr 18, 2015 #1

wolram

Gold Member

What is the latest gossip on science in general

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2015 #2
    Like the state of science as an industry? What are you really asking? :smile:

4. Apr 18, 2015 #3

wolram

Gold Member

I am looking for the latest on cutting edge science, who is talking about what.

5. Apr 18, 2015 #4
  6. Apr 18, 2015 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks Greg great source

7. Apr 18, 2015 #6

wolram

Gold Member

http://phys.org/news/2015-04-asteroid-tc4-earth-october.html

On Oct. 12, 2017, the asteroid 2012 TC4 is slated to whizz by Earth dangerously close. The exact distance of its closest approach is uncertain, as well as its size. Based on observations in October 2012 when the space rock missed our planet, astronomers estimate that its size could vary from 12 to 40 meters. The meteor that exploded over the Russian city of Chelyabinsk in February 2013, injuring 1,500 people and damaging over 7,000 buildings, was about 20 meters wide. Thus, the impact of 2012 TC4 could be even more devastating. "It is something to keep an eye on," Judit Györgyey-Ries, astronomer at the University of Texas' McDonald Observatory, told astrowatch.net. "We could see an airburst maybe broken windows, depending on where it hits."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-04-asteroid-tc4-earth-october.html#jCp

8. Apr 18, 2015 #7
  9. Apr 18, 2015 #8

wolram

Gold Member

If was up to me i would be chasing this asteroid:nb)

10. Apr 18, 2015 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Based on orbital data, it should be not so far away from earth this month. Could be the best opportunity to get new observations, which would allow very precise predictions for 2017.

I'm sure astronomers are watching this.

11. Apr 18, 2015 #10

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would there be time to land something on it like the Rosetta probe last year? I'm guessing probably not.

12. Apr 18, 2015 #11

mfb

2016 Award

In 2.5 years? Only if they find a spare copy and ignore the difference between a comet with enough mass for an orbit and a tiny asteroid with essentially zero gravity. Planning for Rosetta started 12 years before it launched.
    If it would be even smaller, NASA would have been interested. They decided to pick up a big rock from the surface of a larger asteroid now instead of bringing a full small asteroid to earth.

13. Apr 19, 2015 #12
    I have some awesome gossip, but I can't relate it because some high ranking physicists would be embarrassed. However, I will say that they were analyzing certain data incorrectly, causing them to mis-estimate the quantity of something by a lot, until an independent researcher brought their error to their attention. They shot him down a few times in a row, claiming the method of analysis had been checked and vetted by some big wheels, so they were confident of it. When I heard what they were mis-estimating, I raised both eyebrows. I can't tell you what it was, but it's kind of a big deal these past few years. And if anyone asks, you didn't hear it from me.

14. Apr 19, 2015 #13

wolram

Gold Member

You are a tease Zooby

15. Apr 19, 2015 #14

wolram

Gold Member

16. Apr 19, 2015 #15

wolram

Gold Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32365888

French regulators have been informed of "manufacturing anomalies" in components "particularly important for safety" at Flamanville 3 power plant, in Normandy.

The reactor is similar to one planned for Hinkley Point, in Somerset.

EDF Energy - involved in both projects - said a new series of tests was under way and it was working with regulators.

An investigation revealed potential weaknesses in the steel used to make a safety casing around the reactor at Flamanville, near Cherbourg.

17. Apr 19, 2015 #16

Hepth

Gold Member

Is this cosmological in origin? Number of SN? Nobel prize invalidated kind of rumor?

18. Apr 19, 2015 #17
    No, it has to do with the quantity of a particular substance on earth. It's not iron, but lets pretend it's iron because the amount of the thing in question can only be estimated just like the amount of iron can only be estimated: they way they were estimating the amount of 'iron' on earth was incorrect, leading to a non-trivial mis-estimation of that amount. That is: they had good data, but they were using the wrong math tools to analyze it.

19. Apr 21, 2015 #18
    Water?

Gold or other precious/strategic metal?

20. Apr 21, 2015 #19
    It's not a guessing game. I only brought it up because Wolram asked for "science gossip." Not a usual combination of concepts. But it just so happened I was in possession of a story fitting the bill.

21. Apr 23, 2015 #20

Drakkith

But I was gonna guess unobtainium!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook