What is the length of (-4pi sin(t), 4pi cos(t), 1) in trigonometry?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
hanelliot
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


x = (-4[tex]\pi[/tex]sin[tex]\pi[/tex]t, 4[tex]\pi[/tex]cos[tex]\pi[/tex]t, 1)
what is the length of x?

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


Well, I do realize that length of something is calculated by sqrt(x^2 + y^2) etc.
However, when I plug in the numbers above, I get sqrt(16[tex]\pi[/tex]^3 + 1), but the answer is sqrt[1 + (4[tex]\pi[/tex])^2)]. If anyone can show me step by step (trig is my weak point), I'd really appreciate it. I'm guessing (sin^2[tex]\pi[/tex]t + cos^2[tex]\pi[/tex]t) = 1, instead of [tex]\pi[/tex]? If so, why?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You should have learned long ago that [itex]sin^2(x)+ cos^2(x)= 1[/itex] for all x, even if [itex]x= \pi t[/itex]!
 
hanelliot said:

Homework Statement


x = (-4[tex]\pi[/tex]sin[tex]\pi[/tex]t, 4[tex]\pi[/tex]cos[tex]\pi[/tex]t, 1)
what is the length of x?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Well, I do realize that length of something is calculated by sqrt(x^2 + y^2) etc.
However, when I plug in the numbers above, I get sqrt(16[tex]\pi[/tex]^3 + 1), but the answer is sqrt[1 + (4[tex]\pi[/tex])^2)]. If anyone can show me step by step (trig is my weak point), I'd really appreciate it. I'm guessing (sin^2[tex]\pi[/tex]t + cos^2[tex]\pi[/tex]t) = 1, instead of [tex]\pi[/tex]? If so, why?
Yes, sin2A + cos2A = 1 for any A. This is the only trig in this problem. The rest is algebra, which also seems to be a weak point.

How did you get sqrt(16[itex]\pi[/itex]3 + 1)? Show what you did to get this and we can set you straight.
 
I do hope you are NOT arguing that you can take a "[itex]\pi[/itex] out of the function and saying that:

"[itex]sin^2(\pi t)+ cos^2(\pi t)= (\pi sin^2(t))^2+ (\pi cos^2(t))^2[/itex][itex]= \pi^2[/itex]".

sin(at) is NOT equal to a sin(t) and cos(at) is NOT equal to a cos(t)!
 
lol yeah, been away from math for a long time so did forget it. don't worry about 16pi^3, it was done quickly and obv wrong.