What is the Limit of the Partition Function in the Low Temperature Regime?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
quanlop93
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Ground state energy is set at 0.
[tex]E_n=\left(1-\frac{1}{n+1}\right)\in[/tex] with no degeneracy [tex](\Omega(n)=1); (n=0,1,2...)[/tex]
Write down the partition function and look for its limit when [tex]kt \gg \in\\ kt \ll \in[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


Partition function for this is [tex]Z=\sum_{n=0}^\infty e^{-\beta\left(1-\frac{1}{n-1}\right)\in}[/tex]
Consider Z when ##kt \ll \in## then ##\beta e \gg1## then ## e^{-\beta e} \rightarrow 0## This leads to the whole summation will go to 0. But we know that at low temperature, Z always goes to 1.
I have tried to calculate the summation but this series is divergent.
How can I change the calculation to reach Z =1?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree - if you have an infinite number of energy levels, bounded above by [itex]\epsilon[/itex], then the partition function diverges.
 
DrClaude said:
What happens if you single out ##n=0##?
With n = 0 [tex]\left(1-\frac{1}{0+1}\right)=0[/tex] then Z=1 in two cases. But its supposed to be 1 just in the case that the temperature is low [tex]kt\ll\epsilon[/tex]
I have tried some direct methods to find the limit of this function, but it turned out that the function is divergent. Then all of them became useless.
 
What I meant is take ##n=0## out of the sum in the low T limit, and you recover ##Z=1## as expected.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: quanlop93
DrClaude said:
What I meant is take ##n=0## out of the sum in the low T limit, and you recover ##Z=1## as expected.
Got it now. Thank you.