What is the magnitude of the body's acceleration?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
sponsoredwalk
Messages
531
Reaction score
5
I keep getting the wrong answers for these two questions no matter what way i seem to structure it.
1. Only two horizontal forces act on a 3.0 kg body that can move over a frictionless floor. One force is 9.0 N, acting due east, and the other is 8.0 N, acting 62` north of west.What is the magnitude of the body's acceleration?

If follow the guideline example in my book this is how i try to answer it.
[tex]F = m a \Rightarrow F_1 - F_2 = m a[/tex]

[tex]9 - 8 \cos 62 = (3) a \Rightarrow \frac {9 - 3.75}{3} = a[/tex]

[tex]\frac {5.2}{3} = a \Rightarrow 1.733... = a[/tex]

But my book says the answer is [tex]2.9[/tex], what am I missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The resultant force has a component to north, too, and you need to calculate the magnitude of the total force. Moreover, I do not know what does 62´ north of west mean.

ehild
 
The resultant force has a component to north, too,
From the question I assumed you only had to take the horizontal motion;
Only two horizontal forces act on a 3.0 kg body
And I tried (to the best of my ability) using separate [tex]x_i[/tex] and [tex]y_j[/tex] coordinates and failed. I can't get that elusive [tex]2.9[/tex]
.
and you need to calculate the magnitude of the total force.
This would mean what? To take [tex]|a| \sqrt(x^2 i+ y^2 j )[/tex] accelerations?

what does 62´ north of west mean.

62 Degrees North of the west axis. I assume it's like 118 degrees counterclockwise from [tex]1,0[/tex] on a unit circle,
 
You either go to west or north, you move horizontally still you stay on the floor and do not rise up, or sink down...

You have got the x component of the acceleration, using the x component of the north-west force. What is the y (north) component of this force?

And yes, you have to use the magnitude (absolute value) of the acceleration at the end, sqrt(ax2+ay2) .

ehild