1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of a component of a triple star

1. Dec 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The apparent total magnitude of a triple star is ##m_0 = 0,0##. The apparent magnitudes of two of its components are ##m_1 = 1,0## and ##m_2 = 2,0##.

What is the apparent magnitude of the third component?

Answer: 0,9

2. Relevant equations
    Since according to Norman Pogson (1856), the ratio of two subsequent classes of brightnesses (flux densities)
    \begin{equation}
    \frac{F_m}{F_{m+1}} = 100^{1/5} = 10^{2/5} = 10^{0,4},
    \end{equation}
    the difference between two apparent magnitudes:
    \begin{equation}
    m_x - m_y = -\frac{5}{2}\lg{ \left( \frac{F_x}{F_y} \right)}
    \end{equation}

If the magnitude ##0## is chosen to represent a certain flux density ##F_0##, generally corresponding to the flux density ##F## there is a corresponding magnitude
    \begin{equation}
    m = -\frac{5}{2}\lg{ \left( \frac{F}{F_0} \right)}
    \end{equation}
    3. The attempt at a solution

From the assignment, the total magnitude of the system is chosen to be zero. Therefore we can get the apparent magnitude of the third component from ##(3)## as follows:
    \begin{equation}
    m_3 = -\frac{5}{2}\lg{ \left( \frac{F_3}{F_0} \right)},
    \end{equation}
    where ##F_0## is the flux density of the system.

Since I have no idea, what the flux densities are, I think I might be better off trying to solve for the ratio ##\frac{F_3}{F_0}##. Now
    \begin{equation}
    \frac{F_3}{F_1} = 10^{-0,4(m_3 - m_1)} \text{ and } \frac{F_3}{F_2} = 10^{-0,4(m_3 - m_2)}
    \end{equation}
    Solving these for ##F_3##:
    \begin{equation}
    F_3 = 10^{-0,4(m_3 - m_1)}F_1 = 10^{-0,4(m_3 - m_2)}F_2
    \end{equation}

Plugging into ##(4)##:
    \begin{equation}
    m_3 = -\frac{5}{2}\lg{ \left( 10^{-0,4(m_3 - m_1)}\frac{F_1}{F_0} \right)},
    \end{equation}
    Now
    \begin{equation}
    \frac{F_1}{F_0} = 10^{-0,4m_1},
    \end{equation}
    which when plugged into ##(7)## yields ##m_3 = m_3##, so I am obviously missing something.

But what exactly?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Leaving magnitudes aside for the moment, what do you think the relatioship would be between the individual flux densities and the combined flux density?

4. Dec 7, 2016 #3
    Well, picking up my second edition of Understanding Physics by Mansfield and O'Sullivan, flux density is defined as follows: [tex]F:= \lim_{\Delta A \rightarrow 0} \frac{\Delta \Phi}{\Delta A}\hat{t},[/tex] where ##\Phi## is the flux through area ##A## on the enclosing surface, and ##\hat{t}## a unit vector pointing in the direction of the flux. If we have 3 sources producing flux inside of a surface, at each point on the surface their flux should be summed, meaning the total flux density
    \begin{equation}
    F_{tot} = \lim_{\Delta A \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n}\Delta \Phi_i \hat{t_i}}{\Delta A} = \sum_{i=1}^{n}F_i,
    \end{equation}
    where ##n## is the number of elements producing flux. At least that's what my intuition says.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  5. Dec 7, 2016 #4
    If my assumption in post #3 is correct, the total flux detected at the observation point ##F_0 = F_1 + F_2 + F_3 \iff F_3 = F_0 - (F_1 + F_2)##. Then ##(4)## becomes
    \begin{equation}
    m_3 = -\frac{5}{2}\lg \left( \frac{F_3}{F_0} \right) = -\frac{5}{2}\lg \left( 1 - \frac{F_1 + F_2}{F_0} \right) =
    -\frac{5}{2}\lg \left( 1 - \frac{F_1}{F_0} - \frac{F_2}{F_0} \right)
    \end{equation}

Again, we can solve for the ratios ##\frac{F_1}{F_0}## and ##\frac{F_2}{F_0}## as follows using ##(3)##:
    \begin{equation}
    \frac{F_1}{F_0} = 10^{-0,4m_1} \text{ and } \frac{F_2}{F_0} = 10^{-0,4m_2}
    \end{equation}

Therefore
    [tex]
    m_3 = -\frac{5}{2}\lg \left( 1 - \frac{F_1}{F_0} - \frac{F_2}{F_0} \right) = -\frac{5}{2}\lg \left( 1 - 10^{-0,4m_1} - 10^{-0,4m_2} \right) = 0,883002 \approx 0,9,
    [/tex]
    which was the desired answer.

Thanks. :smile:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted