What Is the Mass of an Oil Drop Balanced Between Metal Plates?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
atomicpedals
Messages
202
Reaction score
7

Homework Statement



Two horizontal metal plates are 1cm apart in air. An oil drop bearing a charge of one electronic unit is balanced between the plates when the potential difference between them is 800volts. Find the mass of the drop.

Homework Equations



I may need to use some combination of: dV = -E ds, and W = 1/2 eE^2l. But I'm really not even very certain on that.

The Attempt at a Solution



Really I've got nothing on this one! Any suggestions of which way to look for the solution would be much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the electric field between the plates of a parallel-plate capacitor? Once you get that, write out the equilibrium condition between the electric and gravitational forces.
 
Ok, so we have that E=V/d and then that EQ=mg (equilibrium condition), this will then yield Q=dmg/V.

I think I'm playing the right ball-game now, but this seems too simple (and doesn't yield a result that makes sense assuming my arithmetic is correct). Should my final condition take the characteristics of air into consideration?
 
Last edited: