What is the mass of the cylinder?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 4K views
magnummd
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Problem: A massless string is wrapped around a solid cylinder as shown in the diagram at the right. A block of mass m = 2.0 kg hangs from the string. When released, the block falls a distance of 82 cm in 2.0 s. Starting with a free-body diagram, calculate the mass of the cylinder.

Homework Equations



d = volt + 0.5at^2
Tension = ma - mg
Torque = (I)(alpha) = F(r)

The Attempt at a Solution



Conceptually, I figure I need to find the force being exerted on the wheel, and the acceleration. That will leave nothing but the mass to be determined. But the fact that it's rotational, throws a wrench into it, especially since no radius is provided.

using d = volt + 0.5at^2 we get a = 0.41 m/s^2 for the block.
Tension is therefore, 18.78 N in the opposite direction of the block's movement and is the force being exerted on the wheel (I think).

Torque = 18.78(r) = 0.5Mr^2(a/r)

If my approach is right, I need M, but r is in the way. What to do?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
magnummd said:
Torque = 18.78(r) = 0.5Mr^2(a/r)

If my approach is right, I need M, but r is in the way. What to do?

Wait a minute... the radii all cancel... therefore M = 37.56/0.41 = 91.6 kg

Did I figure it out, or did I just dig myself into a deeper hole? Help please!
 
I don't really know where I could attach a photo of it, but it essentially looks like a string hanging off a pulley with a mass on the end.

Any suggestions on how I can show it to you?
 
Last edited:
When you make a new reply below "submit reply" look for a button called "Manage Attachments".
 
Sweet thanks! Here it is:
 
Attachments
  • Assignment Question Diagram.JPG
    Assignment Question Diagram.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 781
I'm new to this forum but just a general hint i post my pictures on photobucket.com and then just click the image button where i want it in the post and paste in the link ...
 
Anything guys (or ladies)?

The attachment's been approved. So does anyone have any ideas?