What is the maximum load of an odd shaped beam with a hollow u shaped fitting?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 6.28318531
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Beam Load Maximum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
6.28318531
Messages
51
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This isn't homework, but I thought I would post it here as maybe more people would see it, and as I am not an engineer, it requires someone with more experience. The section is effectively an I beam with a hollow u shaped fitting along the top (see my rough sketch). I just need to know how to work out the maximum load at the end of the structure, as if it was cantilevered. I have Z, and dimensions of the materials.

Homework Equations


___
/ \
--------
|
--------

The Attempt at a Solution


I probably have to calculate the moment of inertia, would it be somewhere towards the top of the "I" beam?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As long as the U-fitting is small and I think it is oriented across the top of the beam, you would ignore it in trying to determine the maximum load on the beam.

If the U-fitting is intended to apply the load to the beam, that is another factor in determining how much load can be applied.
 
Sorry about the diagram its meant to be as though you were looking at the I. The u fitting runs the length of the beam, and it as at least as wide as the beam. I wouldn't think it was of negligible size. It isn't intended to apply load to the top of the I beam.