What is the meaning of a basis?

• Thread starter noamriemer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a lattice with a basis in a crystallographic sense. The basis is a set of points in a unit-cell that are used to span the entire lattice by translating them by integer-amounts of the lattice vectors. The basis used in this context is different from the basis in a vector space. The conversation also touches on the structure of a honeycomb and the concept of a point being part of a basis.
noamriemer
Hi!
There is a concept I don't understand and would love to have is cleared...
What is the meaning of a lattice with a basis?
What do I need it for?
Say I have a honeycomb structure. (fig 1) and a basis as mentioned there (did I understand it right? is it the basis? )
why does it become a simple lattice spanned by ax,ay,az
with a two point basis

0, a/2(x+y+z)

or a four -point basis

0, a/2(x+y), a/2(x+z), a/2(y+z) ?

I don't understand the whole thing. For a start, how can in be (mathematically) that 0 is a part of a basis? What is this 0?
Second thing, how can something be spread by either 2 or 4 dimension basis?
It does not fit what I know about a basis...
I can't find answers to these questions... and I guess I miss the whole concept...
Thank you in advance for your help :)

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    14.1 KB · Views: 453
Physics news on Phys.org
A basis in the crystallographic sense not a basis in the sense of a vector space. The two are completely disjunct concepts, which just happen to have the same name by accident.

The unit-cell basis you are describing is effectively just a bunch of points in the unit-cell. The entire lattice is then spanned by translating these points (i.e., all the points separately) by integer-amounts of the lattice vectors.

Thank you!

1. What is a basis in scientific terms?

A basis is a set of independent vectors that span a vector space. This means that any vector in the space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

2. Why is a basis important in scientific research?

A basis is important because it allows us to represent complex data or systems in a more simplified and manageable way. It also helps us to understand the relationships and dependencies between different variables.

3. How do you determine the number of basis vectors needed for a vector space?

The number of basis vectors needed for a vector space is equal to the dimension of the vector space. This can be determined by counting the number of linearly independent vectors in the space.

4. Can a vector space have multiple bases?

Yes, a vector space can have multiple bases. However, all bases for the same vector space will have the same number of basis vectors.

5. How is a basis different from a coordinate system?

A basis is a set of vectors that spans a vector space, while a coordinate system is a way of assigning numerical values to each vector in a space. In other words, a basis provides the building blocks for a vector space, while a coordinate system assigns specific values to those vectors.