What is the meaning of g: [a, b] → R in set notation?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter RMalayappan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Notation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
RMalayappan
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
I've been looking around a few places to try to understand some notation. I'm not sure exactly what to call it(set notation?) but basically things like g: [a, b] → R and stuff like that. I think it means something like g is defined on [a,b] in the real numbers, but is there a resource I can use to learn this type of notation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi RM:

I think your interpretation of the example is correct. However, the → might mean into rather than onto.

Unfortunately, notations have changed since I learned them, and I can't suggest any references.

Good luck.

Regards,
Buzz
 
Last edited:
Thanks. I ended up finding the information in an intro to real analysis, which looks like it has everything I need.