What is the Meaning of ##:=## in Mathematics?

• Thread starter Von Neumann
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the use of the symbol ##:=## to define a quantity, as demonstrated in the conversation regarding evaluating integrals, is standard notation in mathematics. However, its use in formal papers and textbooks is discouraged in favor of writing it out in words. Other alternatives such as \equiv, \stackrel{\Delta}{=}, and \stackrel{\mathrm{def}}{=} are also commonly used. Its use may be more common in informal presentations.
Von Neumann
My calc professor always used to use the symbol ##:=## when defining a quantity.

For example, say we want to evaluate the integral ## \int x \sqrt{1+x^2} dx ##. So we might say, "Let ##u:=1+x^2 ##" and then continue to easily evaluate the integral.

I haven't seen this anywhere else and I'm wondering if this is standard notation.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is standard notation yes. It usually denotes "defined as" or "definition"

Yes, it's standard notation. It's not the only notation people use though. But you'll see some people use it.

The use of this notation in papers and math books is discouraged though. It's always better to write it out in words. For the same reason, things like ##\forall## and ##\exists## rarely show up in math texts.

But many people use it informally or on blackboard.

Yes. I've seen several alternatives, such as [itex]\equiv[/itex], [itex]\stackrel{\Delta}{=}[/itex] and [itex]\stackrel{\mathrm{def}}{=}[/itex], but using [itex]:=[/itex] is also extremely common.

I'm not sure if this is just me, but it seems to be more common in a slightly informal presentation.

EDIT: Double-ninja'd, ugh.

Ninja powah!

Thanks fellas!

Related to What is the Meaning of ##:=## in Mathematics?

1. What is the purpose of using "##:=##" in mathematics?

The symbol "##:=##" is used in mathematics to represent the concept of "equals by definition." This means that the expression on the left side of the symbol is defined to be exactly equal to the expression on the right side, and cannot be interpreted as anything else. It is commonly used when defining new mathematical objects or concepts.

2. Can "##:=##" be used as a regular equals sign?

No, "##:=##" cannot be used as a regular equals sign. While they may look similar, they have different meanings in mathematics. The regular equals sign is used to show that two expressions are equal in value, while "##:=##" is used to show that two expressions are equal by definition.

3. How is "##:=##" used in mathematical proofs?

"##:=##" is often used in mathematical proofs to define new variables or concepts. By using "##:=##," the author is stating that the expression on the left side is exactly equal to the expression on the right side, and can be substituted for it in further calculations. This helps to make the proof more clear and concise.

4. Are there any other symbols that have a similar meaning to "##:=##" in mathematics?

Yes, there are other symbols that are used to represent "equals by definition" in mathematics. Some examples include "##\equiv##" and "##\triangleq##." These symbols all serve the same purpose of defining new mathematical objects or concepts.

5. Can "##:=##" be used in all branches of mathematics?

Yes, "##:=##" can be used in all branches of mathematics. It is a universal symbol that is widely accepted and understood by mathematicians. However, it is more commonly used in fields such as algebra, calculus, and geometry, where new concepts and definitions are frequently introduced.