What is the Meaning of \Subset Symbol?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Gabriel Maia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Symbol
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Gabriel Maia
Messages
70
Reaction score
1
Hi. I was reading a chapter about Stationary Phase Method and I got stuck with this symbol [itex]\Subset[/itex]. I looked it up on tables os mathematical symbols but could not find its meaning.

Can you help me?

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I was reading about that from here http://www.math.ku.dk/~gimperlein/dif11/dif11_kim_stationaryphase.pdf but saw no such symbol. What's your source?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~sfholman/dHHU_Chap2.pdf First page, definition 2.1
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This seems more like a math question to me (I've only seen it in functional analysis), but anyway. In this (and most cases), [itex]\Subset[/itex] tends to be used as an alternative to (the in my opinion rather ugly) [itex]\subset\subset[/itex], and means that one set is compactly contained (or embedded) in the other. For many intents and purposes, you can mentally replace [itex]\Subset[/itex] by the usual subset symbols ([itex]\subset[/itex] or [itex]\subseteq[/itex]).