What is the mistake in this supposed proof?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is that there is a sequence of decreasing values for the variable $x_0$, and as $x_0\to+\infty$, the values of $\phi_k(x)$ also decrease.The consecutive approaches are: $$\phi_m(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}-x &, m=1,3,5,7, \dots \\ |x| &, m=2,4,6,8,\dots \end{matrix}\right.$$Find the mistake at the following syllogism:We consider the subsequence $\phi_k(x), k=2m
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

We consider the following problem

$$y'(x)=-sign y, y(0)=0$$

where $sign y$ is defined as follows:

$$sign y=\left\{\begin{matrix}
1 & , y \geq 0\\
-1 &,y<0
\end{matrix}\right.$$The consecutive approaches are:$$\phi_m(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
-x &, m=1,3,5,7, \dots \\
|x| &, m=2,4,6,8,\dots
\end{matrix}\right.$$

Find the mistake at the following syllogism:We consider the subsequence $\phi_k(x), k=2m+1, m=0,1,2,3, \dots$ and we take the limit , obviously

$$\lim_{k \to +\infty} \phi_k(x)=\lim_{k \to +\infty} (-x)=-x=\phi(x)$$Consequently $\phi(x)=-x$ is the solution of the problem in the whole $\mathbb{R}$.We have $\phi_k(x)=y_0+\int_{x_0}^x f(\xi, \phi_{k-1}(\xi)) d \xi$Can we not take the limit since $\phi_k$ and $\phi_{k-1}$ don't have the same value?In my notes it stands the following:$$1,2, \frac{1}{2}, 2, \frac{1}{3},2, \frac{1}{4},2, \dots \\ \frac{1}{n} \to 0$$

How do we find these values?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where exactly is the syllogism?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Where exactly is the syllogism?

This part:

We consider the subsequence $\phi_k(x), k=2m+1, m=0,1,2,3, \dots$ and we take the limit , obviously

$$\lim_{k \to +\infty} \phi_k(x)=\lim_{k \to +\infty} (-x)=-x=\phi(x)$$Consequently $\phi(x)=-x$ is the solution of the problem in the whole $\mathbb{R}$.

A syllogism is a technical term in logic, and its meaning is an inference rule or its application. There are many different types of syllogisms. Some of the most famous are:

(1) $\forall x\in A\,P(x)$; $x_0\in A$; therefore, $P(x_0)$.

(2) $P$ implies $Q$; $Q$ implies $R$; therefore, $P$ implies $R$.

I don't see how your reasoning fits this pattern precisely. In particular, it is not clear what theorem you are using to conclude that $\phi(x)=−x$ is the solution of the problem.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
A syllogism is a technical term in logic, and its meaning is an inference rule or its application. There are many different types of syllogisms. Some of the most famous are:

(1) $\forall x\in A\,P(x)$; $x_0\in A$; therefore, $P(x_0)$.

(2) $P$ implies $Q$; $Q$ implies $R$; therefore, $P$ implies $R$.

I don't see how your reasoning fits this pattern precisely. In particular, it is not clear what theorem you are using to conclude that $\phi(x)=−x$ is the solution of the problem.

I didn't write it by myself , it is given at an exercise and I should deduce if it is right or wrong and justify why it is like that.

Well, first you may let your teacher know that "syllogism" is not the best term here, in my opinion. Perhaps he or she meant "reasoning", "conclusion", or "supposed proof".

Second, problems of this sort usually invoke some theorem, whose conclusion is paradoxical in that particular case. This usually happens when one of the assumptions of the theorem is not satisfied. But it should be clear which theorem is used. You should know better what topic your course is covering now. What are the approximations, where are they coming from?

Related to What is the mistake in this supposed proof?

1. Why is the syllogism wrong?

The syllogism can be wrong for a variety of reasons. It may contain false premises, use invalid logic, or make unwarranted assumptions. In some cases, it may also be based on outdated or incomplete information.

2. Can a syllogism ever be correct?

Yes, a syllogism can be correct if it follows the rules of logical reasoning and is based on true premises. However, it is important to critically evaluate any syllogism to ensure its validity and soundness.

3. How can you identify a flawed syllogism?

A flawed syllogism can often be identified by checking for any logical fallacies or errors in reasoning. These may include circular reasoning, false dichotomy, or hasty generalization. Additionally, examining the validity of the premises and the strength of the argument can also help identify flaws.

4. Why is it important to understand syllogisms?

Understanding syllogisms is important because they are a common form of logical reasoning used in many fields, including science and mathematics. By understanding how syllogisms work and how to evaluate their validity, we can improve our critical thinking skills and make more informed decisions.

5. Can a syllogism be revised or corrected?

Yes, a syllogism can be revised or corrected if errors or flaws are identified. This may involve modifying the premises, using different logical connections, or providing additional evidence to support the conclusion. Revising a syllogism can improve its validity and strengthen the argument.