Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the name of this component (green)?

  1. Jul 22, 2014 #1
    what is the green component? what is the name?

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2014 #2
    I don't know the name for that specific device, but it is a type of ratchet mechanism.

    Edit: To further classify this, one might call it a ratcheting freewheel mechanism. The one thing of which I'm unsure how to classify, is that the ratchet mechanism is based on the deflection of the ratchet, rather than a pivoting arm-and-spring style mechanism.
  4. Jul 22, 2014 #3
    i found the photo on google. im looking for a plastic gear component that allow gear to turn freely in one direction, but engage in opposite direction. do u have any idea?
  5. Jul 22, 2014 #4
    I'm sure someone makes plastic freewheels, or you could easily have it fabricated for you. As far as that specific design, I don't know.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook