Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What Is The Nature Of Absorption Randomity?

1. Sep 20, 2016 #1
    What is the nature of the randomity that results in where a photon is absorbed? I'm thinking of the double slit experiment with single photon emmisions. There is the greatest probability of absorption in the middle reagon, but despite that the photon sometimes goes to one of the far sides. What monitors this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2016 #2
    What monitors this is some form of detector beyond the capability of the human eye.

4. Sep 20, 2016 #3
    I get that. By "monitor" I mean control or regulate.

5. Sep 20, 2016 #4
    The complex laws of nature ie QM.

6. Sep 20, 2016 #5
    We need to get this less mysterious one of these days!

7. Sep 20, 2016 #6
    QM describes the behavior which is "controlled" by the complex interaction of fields/potentials and energy.

There is an excellent paper often quoted on the PF that fully solves the problem you have posed using only first year college calc and algebra.

There is no mystery per se, just some well defined rules.

8. Sep 22, 2016 #7

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It not that mysterious:
    https://arxiv.org/ftp/quant-ph/papers/0703/0703126.pdf

Due to the uncertainty relations as it goes through the slit a position measurement is done and its state is changed to one with a random direction. When you have two slits you apply the principle of superposition and add the two states together. When you do that you get the interference pattern.

Thanks
    Bill

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted