What is the nearest 10 mph to 684,288,000 pi miles per hour?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mathdad
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
0
I KNOW HOW TO ROUND. I just want to make that clear but the way this question is worded makes no sense to me.

How do I round 684,288,000 pi miles per hour to the nearest 10 miles per hour?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
$$684288000\pi\approx2149754153.73965243556$$
 
pi is the standard transliteration of the Greek Letter, "[tex]\pi[/tex]". In mathematics it is used to represent the constant ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle. It is an irrational number (in fact, a transcendental number) that can be approximated by 3.1415926535897932384626433832795 (that is what the calculator that comes with Windows shows) but continues infinitely.

Using that approximation (actually I hit the [math]\pi[/math] key on the calculator) [math]\pi[/math] times 684,288,000 is 2149754153.7396524355611253154576. That's probably what MarkFl did. You should be able to round that to the nearest 10.
 
Excellent. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Note:

2149754153 rounded to the nearest 10 is 2,149,754,150.