What is the order of magnitude for squared units like μm²?

  • Thread starter Thread starter liamporter1702
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magnitude
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
liamporter1702
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi guys this isn't so much a coursework or homework help problem but figured this would be a sensible place to post my question. Basically I got back an assignment I had recently completed from my tutor and I had been marked down for some errors in regard to the orders of magnitude and he said I have been using the same order of magnitude for let's say μm (10^-6) as μm^2. My question is, what is the difference when the units are squared? Does this mean that, let's say 8μm^2 would not be equal to 8x10^-6 but a different value? Any help is appreciated to clear this up :redface:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a square with side lengths equal to ##1 \mu m = 10^{-6}m##. Try expressing the area of this square in ##\mu m^2## and in ##m^2##.
 
Would this be correct:

For area in μm = 1μm^2

and area in m = 10^-6m^2

Thanks for replying!
 
liamporter1702 said:
Would this be correct:

For area in μm = 1μm^2
Yes.

and area in m = 10^-6m^2
No. If the side length is ##10^{-6}m##, then what do you get when you square that? Surely the square of ##10^{-6}## is not ##10^{-6}##.
 
liamporter1702 said:

Homework Statement


Hi guys this isn't so much a coursework or homework help problem but figured this would be a sensible place to post my question. Basically I got back an assignment I had recently completed from my tutor and I had been marked down for some errors in regard to the orders of magnitude and he said I have been using the same order of magnitude for let's say μm (10^-6) as μm^2. My question is, what is the difference when the units are squared? Does this mean that, let's say 8μm^2 would not be equal to 8x10^-6 but a different value? Any help is appreciated to clear this up :redface:

The conversion factor must also be squared - obviously. Draw a square 10cm by side on a piece of paper. Cut it down to squares 1cm by 1 cm (Don't really cut, just draw them). How many little squares do you have at hand? Do you have only 10 little squares?