1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with conversion/ order of magnitude

1. Sep 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    One cubic centimeter (1.0 cm3) of water has a mass of 1.0 multiplied by 10-3 kg.
    (a) Determine the mass of 1.0 m3 of water.

(b) Assuming biological substances are 98% water, estimate the masses of a cell with a diameter of 1.0 µm, a human kidney, and a fly. Take a kidney to be roughly a sphere with a radius of 3.3 cm and a fly to be roughly a cylinder 3.3 mm long and 1.2 mm in diameter. (Type your answer using one of the following formats, 1.2e-3 for 0.0012 and 1.20e+2 for 120.)

2. Relevant equations

Volume of a sphere - (4/3) * pi * radius^3
    Volume of a cylinder - pi * radius^2 * height

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe I am erroneously making the assumption that there should be 100 cubic centimeters in 1 cubic meter. As such, my proposed answer to A was 1.0E-1

It is in fact 1.0E-3
    Please clear up this conversion issue for me.

On to the other problems:
    I believe if I can get assistance with one, I can figure out the rest.
    I have been told to assume 100% water in the calculations of these masses, so never mind the 98%.

Cell Problem: [(4/3)*pi *0.5^3 ] = .5236 *1.0E-3 kg= .005236
    So I'm at 5.24E-6 kg for the weight of this cell

The correct answer should be 5.24e-16 kg/cubic centimeter. I am obviously confused over something fundamental. Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are not 100 cubic centimeters in a cubic meter. There are 100 x 100 x 100 cm3 in a cubic meter. Where you're going wrong with the others are with units. You can't just stick a 0.5 in for the radius since your question is giving the diameter of the cell in micrometers.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?