What is the Pattern for Finding the Missing Number in a Sequence?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around trying to make sense of a problem involving numbers. The person admits to having no clue and trying various methods, such as squaring and cubing numbers, but without success. They ask for ideas and someone suggests using the pattern of 28=4*7=(1+3)*(5+2). The person then questions how the other person figured this out and it is revealed that it was not random guessing but a pattern noticed in the numbers.
member 428835
Homework Statement
what's the missing number
Relevant Equations
nothing comes to mind
I have no idea. I've tried squaring, cubing, summing numbers but can't make sense of anything. Literally no clue how to even approach this aside from randomly adding and subtracting numbers, their squares and cubes, but nothing makes sense. Any ideas?

Screenshot from 2022-04-14 16-07-13.png

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
But how? And how would I even go about doing this?

28=4*7=(1+3)*(5+2)

Likes Math100 and member 428835
anuttarasammyak said:
28=4*7=(1+3)*(5+2)
How on Earth did you know to do this? Just random guessing? What all did you check prior to this?

joshmccraney said:
Just random guessing?
Not really. The very first thing I tried, for all of about 5 seconds, was addition, which seemed a dead end. Then I noticed that in the first problem 5 and 2 added to 7, and 3 and 1 added to 4 -- 4 * 7 = 28. The pattern was the same for the second problem.

Likes member 428835
Mark44 said:
Not really. The very first thing I tried, for all of about 5 seconds, was addition, which seemed a dead end. Then I noticed that in the first problem 5 and 2 added to 7, and 3 and 1 added to 4 -- 4 * 7 = 28. The pattern was the same for the second problem.
Makes sense, thanks.

1. What is the concept of "What's the missing number"?

The concept of "What's the missing number" is a mathematical problem that involves finding a number that is not given in a sequence or pattern. It requires logical reasoning and critical thinking skills to determine the missing number.

2. How do I solve a "What's the missing number" problem?

To solve a "What's the missing number" problem, you need to carefully observe the given sequence or pattern and look for any patterns or rules that may help you determine the missing number. You can also use mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division, to find the missing number.

3. Can there be more than one missing number in a sequence?

Yes, there can be more than one missing number in a sequence. This often happens when the pattern is more complex and requires multiple steps to determine the missing numbers. In such cases, it is important to carefully analyze the sequence and use different strategies to find the missing numbers.

4. Is there a specific formula to solve "What's the missing number" problems?

No, there is no specific formula to solve "What's the missing number" problems. Each problem requires a different approach and may involve different mathematical concepts. It is important to understand the given sequence or pattern and use logical reasoning to determine the missing number.

5. Why is it important to practice solving "What's the missing number" problems?

Practicing solving "What's the missing number" problems can improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It can also help you develop a better understanding of mathematical concepts and patterns. Additionally, this type of problem-solving is often used in various fields, such as science, engineering, and computer programming, making it a valuable skill to have.