Higher Derivatives: What is the Pattern for Finding the nth Derivative of x^n?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jeff Ford
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivatives
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Jeff Ford
Messages
154
Reaction score
2
I'm a little stuck on this one

Find [tex]f^{(n)}(x) = x^n[/tex]

I know [tex]f'(x) = n(x^{n-1})[/tex]
and [tex]f''(x) = n(n-1)(x^{n-2})[/tex] and so on

But I can't seem to see the pattern that leads to the answer [tex]n![/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jeff Ford said:
I'm a little stuck on this one

Find [tex]f^{(n)}(x) = x^n[/tex]

I know [tex]f'(x) = n(x^{n-1})[/tex]
and [tex]f''(x) = n(n-1)(x^{n-2})[/tex] and so on

But I can't seem to see the pattern that leads to the answer [tex]n![/tex]
Then just carry on differentiating some more times:
f(x) := xn
f'(x) = nxn - 1.
f''(x) = (f'(x))' = (nxn - 1)' = n(n - 1)xn - 2.
f'''(x) = (f''(x))' = (n(n - 1)xn - 2)' = n(n - 1)(n - 2)xn - 3.
f''''(x) = n(n - 1)(n - 2)(n - 3)xn - 4.
f(v)(x) = n(n - 1)(n - 2)(n - 3)(n - 4)xn - 5.
...
Now if k < n, what can you say about f(k)(x)?
If k = n then f(k)(x) = ? (i.e, what's f(n)(x))
--------------
Another hint:
Consider g(x) := x2, so g''(x) = 2.
h(x) := x3, so h'''(x) = 6.
Can you go from here? :)
 
Well, you could prove by induction that we have:
[tex]f^{(l)}(x)=\frac{n!}{(n-l)!}x^{n-l}, l\leq{n}[/tex]
 
I think I've got it. If I expanded it out far enough

[tex]f^{(n)} (x) = n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-(n-1)) x^{n-n}[/tex]

Since [itex]n-(n-1) = 1[/itex] the coefficient becomes [itex]1(2)(3)...(n-1)(n) = n![/itex] and [itex]x^{n-n} = x^0 = 1[/itex]

So the whole things boils down to [tex]f^{(n)} (x) = n!(1) = n![/tex]