What is the pH of a 1% sulfuric acid solution?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mik0
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acid Ph Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
Mik0
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Can anyone tell me what a 1% (mass or volume) sulfuric acid solution is in moles? I want to find out the pH of a 1% (mass or volume) sulfuric acid solution?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Correct me if I'm wrong but...
I think you can assume you have a solution 1L in volume. If 1% of that solution is sulfuric acid, you can find the molar concentration. Sulfuric acid is a strong acid so assume 100% dissociation of H+. Then just use the formula pH = -log([H+]) to get the pH.
 
spectre101 said:
Sulfuric acid is a strong acid so assume 100% dissociation of H+.

First dissociation step is strong, but the second is relatively weak. In this particular case about 76% is in the HSO4- form.

--