Ancient production of sulfuric acid

• Thread starter asca
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the conversation discusses the production of sulfuric acid and a request for a detailed description or video on replicating the process used to create the first sulfuric acid in history. It is suggested to heat copper sulfate in a distillation apparatus and then react the resulting sulfur trioxide with water to produce sulfuric acid. The conversation also mentions the use of sulfuric acid as a catalyst in industrial production and the availability of natural indicators for testing acidity before litmus paper was invented. The possibility of creating a strong enough acid using the ancient method is also questioned.
asca
TL;DR Summary
Trying to find some detailed description, or even a video, that shows how the Old Persian managed to extract sulfuric acid from vitriol
Hi everydoby, the closest thread I found was this one, https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/production-of-sulfuric-acid.77077/, but I am not puzzled by and "missing oxygen". I'm trying to find a detailed description, or even better a video, where someone tries to replicate the process that we can assume ( I do not know if a trascript of the original description managed to get through time) was followed to make the first sulfuric acid in history. Not only the production, but also the " original testing" would be interesting to show in a classroom lesson. Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don’t know about a video (you can use google just as well as I can), but the process is straightforward.

1) Put copper sulfate into a distillation apparatus (the alchemists used a crude apparatus called a retort—sometimes also called an alembic).
2) Put the neck of the retort into a vessel of water (better yet, put the opening of the neck into the water so that the distillate must bubble through the water).
3) Then just heat the dickens out of the copper sulfate.

Heating gives you gaseous sulfur trioxide which, upon reaction with water, gives sulfuric acid.

Likes pinball1970
TeethWhitener said:
2) Put the neck of the retort into a vessel of water (better yet, put the opening of the neck into the water so that the distillate must bubble through the water).

It works better with sulfuric acid (96-99%) instead of pure water.

DrStupid said:
It works better with sulfuric acid (96-99%) instead of pure water.
Yes, when making sulfuric acid, it helps to start with sulfuric acid. :wink:

(Note to OP—this isn’t as mindless as it sounds. In fact, it’s how sulfuric acid is made industrially today. Sulfur trioxide is made by roasting sulfur in air. Dissolving ##SO_3## in sulfuric acid produces oleum, which is then diluted to form sulfuric acid. It ends up being less energy intensive—and more cost-effective—to do it this way than to dissolve ##SO_3## directly in water and distill the water up to concentrated sulfuric acid strength.)

TeethWhitener said:
Sulfur trioxide is made by roasting sulfur in air.

Not exactly - burning sulfur produces SO2, to oxidize it further you need a catalyst.

Likes TeethWhitener
Borek said:
to oxidize it further you need a catalyst

or a suitable oxydizer like NO2

OK. Thank you everybody. As I said I'd like to recreate a production process BEFORE sulfuric acid was known, so TheethWithere gave me a good clue. Now the second part of my initial question. How is it reasonable to show a way to test it, once again BEFORE litmus paper was available. Thank you again

asca said:
How is it reasonable to show a way to test it,
This would depend on what you want to know. How would you test it?

Note: plenty of natural indicators that change their color depending on pH (not that litmus is unnatural in any way). Red cabbage juice comes to mind as a first trivial example.

Well my idea is to show them how stronger such acid is, I mean the one we make in the classroom using the ancient method, with respect to vinegar. Before "making" H2S04 I may show then the effect of vinegar on baking soda, now I do not know if the H2S04 made in the classroom can "boil out" some zinc for example.

I strongly doubt you can make an acid strong enough given time and safety limitations.

1. How was sulfuric acid produced in ancient times?

In ancient times, sulfuric acid was produced through the burning of sulfur and saltpeter in a furnace. The resulting gases were then condensed and collected as sulfuric acid.

2. What was the main use of sulfuric acid in ancient civilizations?

Sulfuric acid was primarily used in ancient civilizations for metalworking, particularly in the production of bronze. It was also used in the production of dyes and pigments, and in the preservation of food.

3. How did ancient civilizations store and transport sulfuric acid?

Ancient civilizations stored and transported sulfuric acid in ceramic vessels, which were able to withstand the corrosive properties of the acid. These vessels were often carried on carts or ships for transportation.

4. Were there any safety concerns surrounding the production and use of sulfuric acid in ancient times?

Yes, there were safety concerns surrounding the production and use of sulfuric acid in ancient times. The process of producing sulfuric acid involved burning sulfur, which produced toxic fumes. Additionally, the acid itself was highly corrosive and could cause burns if not handled properly.

5. How did the production of sulfuric acid in ancient times impact society?

The production of sulfuric acid in ancient times had a significant impact on society. It allowed for advancements in metalworking, which in turn led to the development of new tools and weapons. It also played a role in the production of dyes and pigments, which were used for art and decoration. However, the use of sulfuric acid also had negative effects on the environment, as the production process released harmful gases into the air.