Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the physical unit for teleport?

1. Oct 10, 2014 #1
    We use ms-1 for unit of speed.
    But what is the physical unit for teleporting a mass to a distance L? Is it also [L]/[time]?
    But it seems it does not take time for teleport.

I am seeking help. Thanks very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2014 #2
    Yes, for teleportation v=0,1!(which is infinity) so the equation would be s/0,1! which is 0,1! . If you are confused by the 0,1! , note that the facuilty of 0,1 is infinty so I chose it to represent infinity becuase I don't have the infinity sign on my desktop.Yet thinking about it in detail, teleportation is nothing but scanning a bodys molekular and nuclear structure, destroying the body and building it up again at a different device or point. s=L

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  4. Oct 10, 2014 #3
    So it doesn't matter what L is even if it is infinity it still is irelavent becuase infinity/infinity=infinity

5. Oct 10, 2014 #4
    Thank You for your help.
    But I still concern about what the "physical unit" is for this, whether it is accessible or not.

6. Oct 10, 2014 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this 'Physics'?
    I wonder.

7. Oct 10, 2014 #6
    Do you mean something like miles or kilometers or meters or centimeters per second mintue or hour?

8. Oct 10, 2014 #7

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

If we accept that "teleportation" is described as scanning an object here and reconstructing it there then two relevant metrics would be bandwidth and latency; bits per second and seconds.

9. Oct 10, 2014 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed for Moderation...

EDIT: this thread will remain closed. If you wish to ask about the velocity of a particle undergoing quantum tunneling, then you may open a new thread in the QM forum. But in classical physics there is no such thing as teleportation.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook