What is the point in calculating orthonormal bases for R3

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Gram Schmidt process to convert a set of basis vectors into an orthonormal basis in linear algebra. The question arises whether it is more efficient to just use the standard basis vectors (0,0,1), (1,0,0), and (0,1,0) instead of going through the process. The response mentions that using the GS process preserves useful information from the original basis, as seen in the property of the resulting upper triangular matrix.
seand
I'm just learning linear algebra, where we are taking a set of basis vectors and then using gram schmidt to convert them to an orthonormal basis.

So I know I can do it. I know orthonormal is great. But as I'm modifying the basis anyway from the original, why don't I just forget the original basis and just use (0,0,1) (1,0,0) (0,1,0) and be done with it.

Is some useful information being preserved from the original basis into the orthonormal basis? I'm looking for some motivation for this process.

Thanks,

Sean

Physics news on Phys.org
The first reason that leaps to my mind is that there are other inner product spaces than Rn with its standard inner product.

I could imagine, though, a situation where I would want my first basis vector to be a specific vector, and the next basis vector to lie in a specific plane, and so forth.

An orthonormal basis formed using the Gram Shmidt process has a useful property. If your original basis is used as column vectors to form a matrix A, and the GS derived orthonormal basis are the column vectors of the matrix Q, then QT A = R. R happens to be a nice upper triangular matrix. So, I guess there is some useful information preserved when using the GS process because I can recover my original basis using A = QR.

1. What is the purpose of calculating orthonormal bases for R3?

The purpose of calculating orthonormal bases for R3 is to have a set of vectors that are mutually perpendicular and have a unit length. These bases are useful in various applications such as solving systems of linear equations, representing rotations and transformations in 3D space, and performing projections and least squares calculations.

2. How do you calculate an orthonormal basis for R3?

To calculate an orthonormal basis for R3, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process. This involves taking a set of linearly independent vectors and applying an algorithm to orthogonalize them, followed by normalizing each vector to have a unit length. Alternatively, you can also use the cross product to find two orthogonal vectors, and then normalize them to create a basis.

3. What are the properties of an orthonormal basis for R3?

An orthonormal basis for R3 has three main properties: orthogonality, unit length, and linear independence. This means that the basis vectors are mutually perpendicular, have a magnitude of 1, and cannot be written as a linear combination of each other. Additionally, these bases span the entire 3D space, meaning any vector in R3 can be expressed as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

4. Why is it important to have an orthonormal basis for R3?

Having an orthonormal basis for R3 is important because it simplifies calculations and makes them more efficient. These bases are useful in linear algebra, computer graphics, and physics, among other fields. Using orthonormal bases also allows for easier visualization and understanding of vectors and transformations in 3D space.

5. Can an orthonormal basis for R3 be used for any 3D coordinate system?

Yes, an orthonormal basis for R3 can be used for any 3D coordinate system. This is because the concept of orthogonality and unit length is independent of the coordinate system used. However, the specific basis vectors may vary depending on the coordinate system, such as Cartesian, spherical, or cylindrical coordinates.