What is the Probability of a Coin Toss Avoiding Lines in 2D Cartesian Plane?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Mr.IITIAN007
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Well I am doing a minor project on dimensions and probability.Please friends try this out:-----------

A coin of diameter d is tossed randomly onto the rectangular cartesian plane .
What is the probability that the coin does not intersect any line whose equation is of the forms :-------
(a) y=mx+c
(b) (x/a)+(y/b)=1

I am trying first with 2-D figure but if I get a proper answer I can find for euclidean plane too.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
(b) is also a line. I assume you mean to square the x and y.

Obviously, you need to somehow restrict the area you're working with. You cannot use the entire euclidean plane as there exists no uniform distribution over it.
 
Ziox,You are right about your point on euclidean plane.I have not yet thought about that.But buddy, (b) is the intercept form of a line which cuts off intercepts a and b from x and y-axis respectively.Have you tried the (a) part ?