What is the Probability of Having a Girl as the Third Child?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Petenerd
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Petenerd
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I need help with this question:

A woman gives birth to a son. Two years later, she gives birth to another son. What is the probability that her third child will be a girl? Explain your reasoning.

I think it is 50% chance that it will be a girl because when you use the punnet square the outcome of the combination is 50%. I'm not sure if this is correct.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know why you need to do a Punnet square. The chance that your baby will be a girl is 50%, period. The sperm that are swimming up the vagina and competing with each other to fertilize the egg couldn't care less about the sex of the woman's previous children.
 
Your punnett square results are correct - the gender of a child is always 50% male and 50% female. Previous births don't affect probabilities.