What is the proof for n(n^4 - 1) = 10Q for some values Q and n being integers?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
22 replies · 3K views
James Brady
Messages
106
Reaction score
4
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown.
For some values Q and n being integers, prove that n(n^4 - 1) = 10Q.

So I've tried this with induction, but it gets pretty messy pretty quickly. So I can see that the LHS will be even no matter what, but I'm not sure where to go beyond this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
James Brady said:
For some values Q and n being integers, prove that n(n^4 - 1) = 10Q.

So I've tried this with induction, but it gets pretty messy pretty quickly. So I can see that the LHS will be even no matter what, but I'm not sure where to go beyond this.
Is induction compulsory for this question ?

You essential need to prove that ##n(n^4 - 1)## is divisible by 10. Can you show the induction step ?
 
James Brady said:
For some values Q and n being integers, prove that n(n^4 - 1) = 10Q.

So I've tried this with induction, but it gets pretty messy pretty quickly. So I can see that the LHS will be even no matter what, but I'm not sure where to go beyond this.

Your problem statements does not make much sense as written. Do you mean the following?

"For all integers n >= 1, show that the integer n(n^4-1) is divisible by 10 (that is, has zero remainder when divided by 10".
 
Factorising ##n^4-1## might not be a bad idea.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Brady
Induction isn't compulsory, but it's for all n belonging to the natural numbers.
 
James Brady said:
How do I factorize it?

$$x^n - y^n = (x-y)\left(\sum^{n-1}_{k =0} x^{n-1-k}y^k\right)$$
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Brady
Buffu said:
$$x^n - y^n = (x-y)\left(\sum^{n-1}_{k =0} x^{n-1-k}y^k\right)$$
Also known as "find (x-y) as factor and proceed from there". And it is not the last possible factorization step.
 
If you let ##x = n^2## then ##n^4-1=x^2-1## and hopefully you know how to factorise that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Buffu
##n^4-1=(n^2-1)(n^2 + 1)##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Brady
Buffu said:
typo : ##n^4-1=(x^2-1)(x^2 + 1)##
PeroK's version was a correct substitution. You did the factorization step but with the wrong variable.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Buffu
Mark44 said:
No. ##n^4 - 1 = (n^2 - 1)(n^2 + 1)##
mfb said:
PeroK's version was a correct substitution. You did the factorization step but with the wrong variable.

Did not see the substitution.:bow:
Can you please delete my last post.
 
Hmmm, so now I have ##n(n+1)(n-1)(n^2+1))## So it's pretty clear that anything here will be divisible by 3... Also I can see that whether the parity of n is either even or odd, the entire term will come out to even. So the term must be divisible by 6, but I'm not seeing how to get that number up to 10...

Thanks to everyone so far, didn't even see the conjugate there.
 
James Brady said:
Hmmm, so now I have ##n(n+1)(n-1)(n^2+1))## So it's pretty clear that anything here will be divisible by 3... Also I can see that whether the parity of n is either even or odd, the entire term will come out to even. So the term must be divisible by 6, but I'm not seeing how to get that number up to 10...

Thanks to everyone so far, didn't even see the conjugate there.
Why not just crunch through that modulo 10?
 
James Brady said:
I'm not sure what that means.
Every number is equal to 0-9 modulo 10. Just check each of these possibilities. For example ##7^2+1=50## so ##n^2+1## is a multiple of 10 for every number that equals 7 modulo 10.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Brady and Delta2
OK, it took me a minute to figure out the modular arithmetic, but I do understand what you're saying.

So pretty much by stating that all numbers are 0-9 mod 10, then checking each case, we can effectively run through all the natural numbers.
For real, that helps a lot. Thanks.
 
You already know that the expression is even, checking 0 to 4 to prove divisibility by 5 is sufficient.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Brady and PeroK
James Brady said:
For some values Q and n being integers, prove that n(n^4 - 1) = 10Q.

So I've tried this with induction, but it gets pretty messy pretty quickly. So I can see that the LHS will be even no matter what, but I'm not sure where to go beyond this.

Induction works just fine. If ##f(n) = n(n^4-1)##, then it is not hard to find that ##f(n+1) - f(n) = 5 M + 10N##, where the integers ##M## and ##N## are sums of some powers of ##n##.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you go back to the original expression:
##p(n) = n(n^4-1)##

As this is even, it is enough to show that it divisible by 5. But, also, ##p(-n) = -p(n)##, so it is enough to check 0, 1, 2.