What is the Property of Infimum for Sets?

In summary, $\ell$ is the infimum of a set $A$ iff $\ell$ is a lower bound of $A$ and for each $\epsilon>0$ there exists an $a \in A$ such that $\ell+\epsilon>a$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to show that $\ell$ is the infimum of a set $A$ iff $\ell$ is a lower bound of $A$ and for each $\epsilon>0$ there exists an $a \in A$ such that $\ell+\epsilon>a$.

I have thought the following so far for the direction "$\Leftarrow$".
Let $\ell$ be a lower bound of $A$ such that for each $\epsilon>0$ there exists an $a \in A$ such that $\ell+\epsilon>a$.
Let $\ell<t$. We pick $\epsilon=t-\ell>0$. Then there is some $b \in A$ such that $\ell+\epsilon>b$.
But does this help somehow? I don't know how, right now... (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

I want to show that $\ell$ is the infimum of a set $A$ iff $\ell$ is a lower bound of $A$ and for each $\epsilon>0$ there exists an $a \in A$ such that $\ell+\epsilon>a$.

I have thought the following so far for the direction "$\Leftarrow$".
Let $\ell$ be a lower bound of $A$ such that for each $\epsilon>0$ there exists an $a \in A$ such that $\ell+\epsilon>a$.
Let $\ell<t$. We pick $\epsilon=t-\ell>0$. Then there is some $b \in A$ such that $\ell+\epsilon>b$.
But does this help somehow? I don't know how, right now... (Thinking)

It is not clear what $t$ is, so that makes it a bit confusing, but I think you are almost there.

Namely, make explicit that $t$ is another lower bound of $A$ that is strictly greater than $\ell$. Define $\epsilon > 0$ as you do. Since plainly $\ell + \epsilon = t$ you have shown that there exists $b \in A$ that is less than $t$. Hence $t$ is not a lower bound of $A$ at all.

Conclusion: There cannot be another lower bound of $A$ that is strictly greater than $\ell$. This just means that $\ell$ is the infimum, indeed.

Janssens said:
It is not clear what $t$ is, so that makes it a bit confusing, but I think you are almost there.

Namely, make explicit that $t$ is another lower bound of $A$ that is strictly greater than $\ell$. Define $\epsilon > 0$ as you do. Since plainly $\ell + \epsilon = t$ you have shown that there exists $b \in A$ that is less than $t$. Hence $t$ is not a lower bound of $A$ at all.

Conclusion: There cannot be another lower bound of $A$ that is strictly greater than $\ell$. This just means that $\ell$ is the infimum, indeed.

I see. (Smile)
At the other direction, we want to show that if $\ell$ is the infimum of $A$ then $\ell$ is a lower bound of $A$ and for each $\epsilon>0$ there is an $a \in A$ such that $\ell+\epsilon>a$.

So let $\ell$ be the infimum of $A$. By definiton, the infimum is the greatest lower bound of the set. Thus $\ell$ is a lower bound of $A$. Let $\epsilon>0$. We note that $\ell<\ell+\epsilon$. Can we just set $a=\ell$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
I see. (Smile)
At the other direction, we want to show that if $\ell$ is the infimum of $A$ then $\ell$ is a lower bound of $A$ and for each $\epsilon>0$ there is an $a \in A$ such that $\ell+\epsilon>a$.

So let $\ell$ be the infimum of $A$. By definiton, the infimum is the greatest lower bound of the set. Thus $\ell$ is a lower bound of $A$. Let $\epsilon>0$. We note that $\ell<\ell+\epsilon$. Can we just set $a=\ell$ ? (Thinking)

No, because $\ell$ need not be in $A$. (Think of $A = (1,2)$ with infimum $1$.).

Surely, $\ell$ is a lower bound, so that is done.
For the rest of the statement, consider the negation, i.e. consider what happens when there would exist $\epsilon > 0$ such that there is no $a \in A$ with $\ell + \epsilon > a$. Then $\ell + \epsilon \le a$ for all $a \in A$.

What does this tell you about the quantity $\ell + \epsilon$?
And what does that, in turn, say about $\ell$ itself?

Janssens said:
No, because $\ell$ need not be in $A$. (Think of $A = (1,2)$ with infimum $1$.).

Surely, $\ell$ is a lower bound, so that is done.
For the rest of the statement, consider the negation, i.e. consider what happens when there would exist $\epsilon > 0$ such that there is no $a \in A$ with $\ell + \epsilon > a$. Then $\ell + \epsilon \le a$ for all $a \in A$.

What does this tell you about the quantity $\ell + \epsilon$?

This tells us that $\ell+\epsilon$ is a lower bound of $A$, right?

And since $\ell<\ell+\epsilon$, $\ell$ cannot be the infimum. So we get a contradiction, right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
You’re almost there! Since $\ell$ is the greatest lower bound of $A$ and $\ell+\epsilon$ is greater than $\ell$, $\ell+\epsilon$ can’t be a lower bound of $A$. Therefore …?

evinda said:
And since $\ell<\ell+\epsilon$, $\ell$ cannot be the infimum. So we get a contradiction, right? (Thinking)

Exactly.

Olinguito said:
You’re almost there! Since $\ell$ is the greatest lower bound of $A$ and $\ell+\epsilon$ is greater than $\ell$, $\ell+\epsilon$ can’t be a lower bound of $A$. Therefore …?

Therefore, $\forall \epsilon >0 \ \exists a \in A$ such that $\ell+\epsilon>a$... (Smile) Thanks for answering!

- - - Updated - - -

Janssens said:
Exactly.

Thanks a lot... (Smirk)

1. What is the definition of infimum of a set?

The infimum of a set is the greatest lower bound of the set, meaning it is the largest number that is less than or equal to all the numbers in the set. It is denoted by "inf" or "infimum".

2. How is the infimum of a set calculated?

The infimum of a set can be calculated by arranging the numbers in the set in ascending order, and then selecting the smallest number in the set. If the set has no smallest number (i.e. it is unbounded below), then the infimum is negative infinity.

3. What is the difference between infimum and minimum of a set?

The infimum of a set is the greatest lower bound, while the minimum of a set is the smallest element in the set. The infimum may or may not be an element of the set, while the minimum must be an element of the set.

4. Can a set have multiple infima?

No, a set can only have one infimum. This is because the infimum is the greatest lower bound, and there can only be one greatest lower bound for a set.

5. How is the infimum of a set useful in mathematics?

The concept of infimum is useful in various areas of mathematics, such as analysis, topology, and measure theory. It allows us to define and prove important theorems, such as the completeness of the real numbers, and helps us understand the behavior of functions and sequences.