1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the question looking for?

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mouse starts at position (-2 m, 0.5 m), relative to a piece of cheese at the origin, and follows the path shown in the x-y graph below. Find the position vector of the mouse at point C and enter your answer in component form.

2. Relevant equations
    The co-ordianates of point C are (3 m, -5.4m)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I can't put a picture of the graph up on here, so if there is any information left out that the graph may contain please let me know.

There are 2 answer slots, one for each component of the answer i guess. In my first attempt I entered 8.84m in the first slot and 38degrees in the second (obtained these from constructing a triangle and using trigonometry), but i was told my units must both be meters. So I put in the co-ordinates of the point itself and that is still wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2
    The first component is the x and the second is the y. I'm assuming the path the mouse took was a straight line so basically you compare the points in terms of change in x and change in y. How much did the mouse move in the x direction to get to point C? How much did the mouse move in the y direction to get to point C?

I'm not 100% if this is correct (assumed a straight line) but this seems to be the way to approach the problem.

4. Sep 26, 2008 #3
    change in x and change in y from where? the origin? Those would just be the co-ordinates of the point C, which i already entered, wouldnt they?

5. Sep 26, 2008 #4
    No, it is the change from where the mouse orginally started (-2m, .5m).

6. Sep 26, 2008 #5
    Oh okay thanks! I got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?