What is the Range of a Function with Rule F(x) = x^2 - 1 on the Interval [-2,5]?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
cue928
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
Let F: [-2,5] --> R be function with rule F(x) = x^2 - 1. Show range of F = [-1,24].

I get that 5^2 = 25 - 1 = 24, but how does one get the lower bound of the range to be -1?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cue928 said:
Let F: [-2,5] --> R be function with rule F(x) = x^2 - 1. Show range of F = [-1,24].

I get that 5^2 = 25 - 1 = 24, but how does one get the lower bound of the range to be -1?
52 [itex]\neq[/itex] 24, but F(5) = 52 - 1 = 24.

Sketch a graph of the function and you should be able to see why the minimum value in the range is -1.
 
Understood but unfortunately I can't use the graph to show it. They want us to use the definition of set equality and range of a function to do it.

I understand that for two sets to be equal, A must be a subset of B and B must be a subset of A. For range of a function f from A to be, y is an element of B such for all x in A, x,y must both be elements of F. But I'm not making the connection between the two definitions and the question.
 
To test for maxima and minima, you look at the two points onthe end of the interval (-2 and 5 in this case), then look at where F'(x) = 0.
 
How do you find the minimum of a function?
 
cue928 said:
Understood but unfortunately I can't use the graph to show it. They want us to use the definition of set equality and range of a function to do it.
Just because you can't use a graph to show what you need to show, that's not a good reason to skip that step. A graph might help you understand the function you're working with. Your function describes a portion of a very simple geometric figure. It's not clear to me that you realize this.