1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that is not onto (##\frac{x}{x^2+1}##)

1. Feb 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to show that $$\frac{x}{x^2+1}$$ is either onto or not.
    My domain is $$R-{0}$$ and range is $$R$$

2. Relevant equations
    I have learn to do this to show that a function is surjective
    y = $$\frac{x}{x^2+1}$$ and solve for x, but I am not sure how to proceed here.

3. The attempt at a solution
    By trial and error and a calculator I have seen that the range is $$\frac{1}{2} \leq x \leq \frac{1}{2}$$
    It means that it's not onto.

Any help on how to proceed?
    Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That is not the domain, and the range is not all real numbers.
    Solve the equation above for x (which you said). First thing to do is multiply both sides by x2 + 1.

4. Feb 7, 2015 #3
    The question says that A= R-{0} and B =R. Then, that f:A ->B and I need to show whether they 1-1 and whether they are onto. Prove.
    Thanks for the hint.

5. Feb 7, 2015 #4
    Once, I have ##y(x^2+1) = x## what else can I do?
    ## y x^2 + y = x## divide all over x^2 wouldn't work.

6. Feb 7, 2015 #5

Mark44

Move the x term over to the left side -- you have a quadratic in x, which you should know how to solve.

The reason for doing this (i.e., solving for x from the original equation) is to determine whether there are any restrictions on y. If there are, your function is not onto the entire real line (the y-axis). If there are no restrictions, the function is onto the reals. IOW, for any y value whatsoever, there is an x value that maps to it.

7. Feb 7, 2015 #6

Mark44

For the function in this problem, there is no inherent reason for the domain to be R - {0}. The function is defined for all real numbers.

8. Feb 7, 2015 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

With the given domain, though, it becomes obvious that the function isn't surjective.

9. Feb 8, 2015 #8

Mark44

It wasn't clear to me that that restriction was actually part of this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted