What is the rate of energy for a damped oscillator?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
jlew
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Energy of a damped oscillator

Homework Statement


I simply need to show that the rate of energy for a damped oscillator is given by:

dE / dT = -bv^2, where b is the dampening coefficient

Homework Equations



I am instructed to differentiate the formula:

E = 1/2 mv[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 1/2 kx[tex]^{2}[/tex] (1)

and use the formula: -kx - b dx/dt = m d[tex]^{2}[/tex]x/dt[tex]^{2}[/tex] (2)

The Attempt at a Solution



I differentitiate

E = 1/2 mv[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 1/2 kx[tex]^{2}[/tex]

to get dE/dT = m d[tex]^{2}[/tex]x/dt[tex]^{2}[/tex] + k dx/dt

the only thing I can see to do here is sub in the above formula (2), to get

dE / dt = -kx - b dx/dt + k dx/dt

or

dT / dt = -kx - bv + kvI must be missing something here, or maybe I made a mistake somewhere, but this question has been bugging me since yesterday. If anyone could steer me in the right direction I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks a lot
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got dE/dt completely wrong. The derivative of (1/2)mv^2 is mv*dv/dt. Do you see why? What's the derivative of (1/2)kx^2? Also what you are trying to prove should be dE/dt=-bv^2.
 
Thanks a lot for the quick reply Dick. You're right, I corrected the typo above.

If I use mv*dv/dt as the derivative of (1/2)mv^2, and kx*dx/dt as the deriviative of (1/2)kx^2, the solution is very straight forward. I suppose I need to go back in my textbook and see how you derived that.

Thanks a lot for your help, I can already tell that this forum is going to be a huge resource for me for the next few years.

Cheers!