What is the reaction time for a batter facing a 45.0 m/s fastball?

  • Thread starter Thread starter joe426
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Baseball Example
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
joe426
Messages
44
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A baseball pitcher throws a fastball horizontally at a speed of 45.0 m/s toward home plate,
17.1 m away. Ignore air resistance. (a) If the batter’s combined reaction and swing times total
0.340 s, how long can the batter watch the ball after it has left the pitcher’s hand before
deciding to swing?


Homework Equations


I'm thinking x=x(not) + v(not)t + (1/2)at^2


The Attempt at a Solution


This equation seems perfect but I can't figure out how to solve for t so that I can find the time it takes the ball to travel the 17.1meters. Then I would take that time and substract the .340s from it and get the answer.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
voko said:
Is the horizontal motion accelerated?

wow...thank you.

it is not. there for it is simply distance divided by velocity. giving the batter .04 seconds to react.