What is the relationship between speed and momentum increase?

• Thread starter freefallin38
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the question involves calculating the speed at which the momentum of a particle increases by a certain percentage. For part a, the speed is 0.4747c when the momentum increases by 1%. However, simply multiplying the speed by 1.1 and 2 for parts b and c respectively does not give the correct answers. The correct answer can be found by using the relativistic definition of momentum.
freefallin38
[SOLVED] Simple Momentum problem

A particle initially has a speed of 0.47c.
(a) At what speed does its momentum increase by 1%?
.4747c
(b) At what speed does its momentum increase by 10%?
____c
(c) At what speed does its momentum increase by 100%?
____c

To get the answer for part a, i just multiplied the speed by 1.01. I assumed that I would do the same, except 1.1 and 2 for parts b and c respectively, but the answers are not right. I have a feeling I'm just missing something but can't quite figure out what it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the relativistic definition of momentum?

ahhh right now i see!

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v), using the formula p = m * v.

3. What are the units of momentum?

The unit of momentum is kilogram-meter per second (kg*m/s).

4. Why is momentum important?

Momentum is important in understanding the motion of objects and predicting their behavior. It is also a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How is momentum conserved in a simple momentum problem?

In a simple momentum problem, the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision or interaction between objects. This means that the summed momenta of all objects involved will be the same before and after the event.