What is the right amount of citric acid and sodiumhypophosphite?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Cyrus the great
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In the materrials and methods of one article is mentioned that: A specific amount of citric acid and the catalyst sodium hypophosphite (50 % w/w, on weight of citric acid used) was dissolved in the starch solution.

My question is how much citric acid and sodium hypophosphite I need to weigh on the balance?

p.s: In one part of article is written: Films were cast from 3 % starch and cross-linked using 5 % (w/w) citric acid.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



50 % w/w so we need to weigh 50 g or mg of citric acid + 50 g or mg of sodium hypophosphite.

But why in another part of article mentioned 5 % of citric acid was used? I am confused![/B]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I calculated like this. I want to make 3 % of starch so I weigh 3 gram of starch. Then 5 % of citric acid which is 1.28 gram then catalyst 50 % which becomes 0.64 gram. Then I will add 96.23 gram of water. Am I right?