1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the right amount of citric acid and sodiumhypophosphite?

1. Feb 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the materrials and methods of one article is mentioned that: A specific amount of citric acid and the catalyst sodium hypophosphite (50 % w/w, on weight of citric acid used) was dissolved in the starch solution.

My question is how much citric acid and sodium hypophosphite I need to weigh on the balance?

p.s: In one part of article is written: Films were cast from 3 % starch and cross-linked using 5 % (w/w) citric acid.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

50 % w/w so we need to weigh 50 g or mg of citric acid + 50 g or mg of sodium hypophosphite.

But why in another part of article mentioned 5 % of citric acid was used? I am confused!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2016 #2
    I calculated like this. I want to make 3 % of starch so I weigh 3 gram of starch. Then 5 % of citric acid which is 1.28 gram then catalyst 50 % which becomes 0.64 gram. Then I will add 96.23 gram of water. Am I right?

4. Feb 7, 2016 #3
    Any feedback?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted