Stabilize H2O2: Sodium Stanate & Phosphoric Acid

• Thread starter doctoxin
  • Start date
In summary, hydrogen peroxide breaks down over time and needs to be stored with a vented cap to relieve pressure.
doctoxin
I happened to come to this site by chance. I was checking solubilities of a few compounds I am considering mixing and came across a thread where people were discussing sodium percarbonate and hydrogen peroxide. Someone mentioned about stabilization of the H2O2 but no one could remember what chemicals to use for that.

<< Mentor Note: Link to the old thread is added here >>

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/h2o2-in-h20-stability.278442/

I have done this in the past and currently work with it now. You use both sodium stanate and phosphoric acid at about 0.1% for each in hydrogen peroxide that approaches 8%. At lower concentration the breakdown is much slower. Even with the stabilizers it will still break down.

My experience has shown me that a 7.9% hydrogen peroxide solution will break down to 7.1% over 5 years when it is stored properly in an opaque container. You also need to remember that during the break down there is continual off-gassing of oxygen (H2O2 breaks down to H2O) so you need to store it with a vented cap to relieve the pressure that builds up.

As for using sodium percarbonate as a source for hydrogen peroxide, good idea, I do it myself but be sure if you are mixing it with other compounds check your solubility and keep in mind that the other part of sp is Na-carbonate which will drive your pH up. Do not use the phosphoric acid to control the pH with the Na-percarbonate, it will react violently. Instead use citric acid or boric acid depending on your application.

Okay, that's my 2 cents for the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Chemistry news on Phys.org
doctoxin said:
You also need to remember that during the break down there is continual off-gassing of oxygen (H2O2 breaks down to H2O) so you need to store it with a vented cap to relieve the pressure that builds up.
Thanks doc, I did not know that. :smile:

1. What is the purpose of stabilizing H2O2 with sodium stannate and phosphoric acid?

The purpose of stabilizing H2O2 with sodium stannate and phosphoric acid is to prevent the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen. This stabilizing process allows for a longer shelf life of the hydrogen peroxide solution, making it more usable for various applications.

2. How does sodium stannate and phosphoric acid stabilize H2O2?

Sodium stannate and phosphoric acid act as stabilizing agents by reacting with the hydrogen peroxide molecules and forming stable compounds. This prevents the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide and maintains its concentration over time.

3. Is it safe to use stabilized H2O2?

Yes, as long as the concentration of hydrogen peroxide is appropriate and the stabilizing agents are properly used, stabilized H2O2 is safe to use. However, it is important to always follow safety precautions and guidelines when handling any chemical substance.

4. Can other substances be used to stabilize H2O2?

Yes, there are other substances that can be used to stabilize H2O2, such as sodium silicate and sodium nitrate. However, sodium stannate and phosphoric acid are commonly used as they are effective and readily available.

5. How long does stabilized H2O2 last?

The shelf life of stabilized H2O2 can vary depending on the concentration of hydrogen peroxide and the type and amount of stabilizing agents used. Generally, stabilized H2O2 can last for several months to a few years if stored properly in a cool, dark place.