What is the Role of Astrophotography in Teaching Astronomy?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Dennis Roscoe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Member
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Dennis Roscoe
Messages
6
Reaction score
5
Hi All,

I just joined the forum and most of my inquires will relate to astrophysics. I am a retired professor of neurology and have turned my interests towards astrophotography and teaching astronomy at a local university. I have built my own observatory and my work can be seen at www.RoscoeSkies.com. I specialize in nebulae. I have attached one of my more recent images.

Cheers,
Dennis

https://www.dropbox.com/s/heqela1y6nyomfh/Eagle Nebula 10-31-2014.jpg?dl=0
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: RonL, Bandersnatch, davenn and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! Welcome to the PF, Dennis. That attached image is stunning! I'm at work ATM, and my work firewall will not let me access your website. I'll check it out from home later. :-)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt
Hi Dennis
welcome and great to have another astrophotographers aboard :)

awesome pic of the nebula and shows the pillars well !

as a suggestion, put some other info on that page with the pic
Am sure I'm not the only one who wants to know what gear you used, exposure times, how many stacked exposures etc :)

(edit ... OK see some of that info on your main page ... nice scope setup ! )

cheers
Dave
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt
Dennis Roscoe said:
Hi All,

I just joined the forum and most of my inquires will relate to astrophysics. I am a retired professor of neurology and have turned my interests towards astrophotography and teaching astronomy at a local university. I have built my own observatory and my work can be seen at www.RoscoeSkies.com. I specialize in nebulae. I have attached one of my more recent images.

Cheers,
Dennis

https://www.dropbox.com/s/heqela1y6nyomfh/Eagle Nebula 10-31-2014.jpg?dl=0
Very beautiful picture:)...and welcome to PF
 
Hello! I'm not sure if it was down yesterday, but for me, roscoeskies.com is fully functioning. Those pictures are excellent, I must say.

Best wishes.
 
Dennis Roscoe said:
I am a retired professor of neurology

Let's hope that will be not your only post, now and then we have questions (in other sciences, or medicine) were your original expertise could come handy.