What is the Sign of Binding Energy for a Hydrogen-Like Atom?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
Messages
697
Reaction score
73

Homework Statement


Is the binding energy for a hydrogen like atom equal to the total energy (negative) or the negative of the total energy (thus positive)?

2. The attempt at a solution
I found varying answers and definitions, some places said binding energy's the energy required to disassemble the system so it must be negative others said that to indicate that the system is bound it has to be negative. I decided I shouldn't get confused too much and just ask the experts on PF, Thank you :D
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
the energy required to disassemble the system so it must be negative
Did you mean, so it must be positive?
 
haruspex said:
Did you mean, so it must be positive?
yes, sorry- I mistyped
 
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
yes, sorry- I mistyped
so for example is the BE of hydrogen 13.6 eV or -13.6 eV?
 
haruspex said:
Did you mean, so it must be positive?
Since you quoted that specifically, I'll assume BE is positive. Thank you very much for your help :D
 
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Since you quoted that specifically, I'll assume BE is positive. Thank you very much for your help :D
I was just clarifying your question, but yes, from what I read, it is expressed as positive.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Krushnaraj Pandya