What is the smallest time from the data given

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data Time
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of the smallest time and its relationship to the sine function. The speaker provides a mathematical equation to calculate the smallest time and notes that there may be multiple answers. They also mention the possibility of a more abstract proof for the minimum value of time at n=0.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/1729

before I proceed with b, c, and d. what really is meant by the smallest time. does this mean the time of one cycle. there are multiple answers if it calculated for t. the steps I used give one but that may not be the correct process. no ans given

Mathematics news on Phys.org
karush said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/1729

before I proceed with b, c, and d. what really is meant by the smallest time. does this mean the time of one cycle. there are multiple answers if it calculated for t. the steps I used give one but that may not be the correct process. no ans given

Hi karush, :)

You have obtained,

\[\sin(120\pi t)=\frac{2}{5}\]

Generally, the values that satisfies this equation are given by,

\[120\pi t=n\pi+(-1)^n \sin^{-1}\frac{2}{5}\]

where \(n\in \mathbb{Z}^{+}\cup\{0\}\). Therefore we have,

\[ t=\frac{n}{120}+\frac{(-1)^n}{120\pi} \sin^{-1}\frac{2}{5}\]

So by substituting \(n=0,\,1,\,2\,\cdots\) and so on we can see that at \(n=0\), \(t\) attains it's smallest value. That's not a proof though, I guess to show that \(t(n)=\frac{n}{120}+\frac{(-1)^n}{120\pi} \sin^{-1}\frac{2}{5}\) has a minimum at \(n=0\) in a more abstract manner will need more work. I can't think of any simple method. :confused:

Related to What is the smallest time from the data given

What is the smallest time from the data given?

The smallest time from the given data would depend on the specific data set being referenced. It is important to clarify which data set is being used when discussing time measurements.

How is the smallest time determined from the data?

The smallest time from the data is typically determined by finding the smallest value in the data set. This can be done by arranging the data in ascending order and identifying the smallest value.

Why is it important to know the smallest time from the data?

Knowing the smallest time from the data is important because it can provide valuable information about the precision and accuracy of the measurements. It can also help to identify any outliers or errors in the data.

Can the smallest time be negative?

In most cases, the smallest time cannot be negative as time is typically measured in increments that start at 0. However, there are some cases where negative time may be used, such as in physics equations involving relative time.

Is the smallest time always the most accurate measurement?

Not necessarily. While the smallest time may be the most precise measurement, it may not always be the most accurate. Other factors such as systematic errors or limitations in the measurement equipment can affect the accuracy of a measurement.