What is the speed of propagation for a transverse wave on a string?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Sheneron
Messages
360
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Wave Motion

Homework Statement


A transverse wave on a string is described by the following wave function.

y = (0.115 m) sin [(x/10 + 3t)]

(a) Determine the transverse speed and acceleration at t = 0.240 s for the point on the string located at x = 1.70 m.
(b) What are the wavelength, period, and speed of propagation of this wave?

The Attempt at a Solution


I have solved the whole problem up to part B) where it says what is the speed of propagation of this wave?
I am not sure what is looking for me to find. I looked up wave propagation and it said, any of the ways in which a wave travels through a medium. I still can't figure out what I am trying to find, so if someone could explain what exactly it is looking for and how to go about it I would be grateful. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sheneron said:

Homework Statement


A transverse wave on a string is described by the following wave function.

y = (0.115 m) sin [(x/10 + 3t)]

(a) Determine the transverse speed and acceleration at t = 0.240 s for the point on the string located at x = 1.70 m.
(b) What are the wavelength, period, and speed of propagation of this wave?

The Attempt at a Solution


I have solved the whole problem up to part B) where it says what is the speed of propagation of this wave?
I am not sure what is looking for me to find. I looked up wave propagation and it said, any of the ways in which a wave travels through a medium. I still can't figure out what I am trying to find, so if someone could explain what exactly it is looking for and how to go about it I would be grateful. Thanks


The speed of a wave is simply [tex]v = \lambda f[/tex] or, equivalently, [tex]v = \omega/k[/tex]