What is the Speed of The Rocket at the Carnival?

  • Thread starter Thread starter splac6996
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Motion Uniform
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 16K views
splac6996
Messages
37
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


You've taken your neighbor's young child to the carnival to ride the rides. She wants to ride The Rocket. Eight rocket-shaped cars hang by chains from the outside edge of a large steel disk. A vertical axle through the center of the ride turns the disk, causing the cars to revolve in a circle. You've just finished taking physics, so you decide to figure out the speed of the cars while you wait. You estimate that the disk is 5 m in diameter and the chains are 6 m long. The ride takes 10 s to reach full speed, then the cars swing out until the chains are 20 from vertical.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Forget the neighbor's kid. Picture a ball on a string going around an upright pole.

Draw that picture.

Make a free-body-diagram of the forces on the ball.
 
OK, now you need to use the information to find the tangential speed. Rotational kinematics.
 
Using that information I get a speed of 8.93m/s which is not correct.

v=sqrt(rgtan(theta)

am I missing some idea
 
Last edited:
splac6996 said:
Using that information I get a speed of 8.93m/s which is not correct.

v=sqrt(rgtan(theta)

am I missing some idea

it's 4.033?
 
splac6996 said:
Using that information I get a speed of 8.93m/s which is not correct.

v=sqrt(rgtan(theta)

am I missing some idea

I misread the problem. The radius has to be re-evaluated. Rather than a string attached to a pole, is is a string attached to a 2.5 m radius disk. The radius of the circle taken by the chair will be 2.5 m + the horizontal component of the chain's length.
 
please help

I have done

v=[tex]\sqrt{8.5*9.80*tan(20)}[/tex]
= 13.65

computer told me that it is not correct.

where did I went wrong?

Do I have to consider the "time factor" of 10 seconds as described in this problem?

please help.
 
the radius isn't 8.5, it's 2.5 plus the "horizontal component of the chain's length", which is 6sin(20).