What is the study of motion called?

In summary, the study of motion is known as kinematics and it involves using a reference point to define velocities, displacements, and accelerations. While any point can be chosen as the origin, it is beneficial to choose one that simplifies the mathematical calculations.
Ki-nana18
All motion is relative to what?

My guesses are kinematics and reference point. But I'm not completely sure. Can anyone tell me if I right or not?

Physics news on Phys.org

Ki-nana18 said:
All motion is relative to what?

My guesses are kinematics and reference point. But I'm not completely sure. Can anyone tell me if I right or not?

Yes it is called kinematics I would say and yes a reference point is used to define velocities, displacements and accelerations.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/The_study_of_motion"

Last edited by a moderator:

And as far as your reference point, you can pick any point you want to be the origin. However, things become more mathematically simple if you pick your origin wisely.

1. What is motion?

Motion is defined as the change in position of an object over time.

2. What is the study of motion called?

The study of motion is called mechanics.

3. What are the different types of motion?

The different types of motion include linear motion, rotational motion, and oscillatory motion.

4. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How is motion measured?

Motion can be measured by calculating an object's velocity, acceleration, or displacement over a specific period of time. It can also be measured using tools such as a stopwatch, ruler, or motion sensor.