What is the sweet spot on a cricket bat for reducing shock to the hands?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mrajkumar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Axial Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mrajkumar
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
hi, could you tell me how to calculate the axial force (along the axis of the bat) on the bat, when the ball hits with some angle with respect to the bat longitudinal axis. The normal force on the bat I've calculated based on the impulse momentum equation.
I'm interested i calculating approximate force transferred to the hand. Normal as well as axial forces.
I've bat swing velocity, ball velocity.
Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw an FBD of the bat, and write the equations of motion.
 
If you're looking at this from a physiological standpoint, such as to design a batting glove or determine the cause of a fracture, vibrations will also factor in. I don't know if that matters to you or not, and I don't know what to do about it even if so.
 
mrajkumar said:
... I'm interested i calculating approximate force transferred to the hand.

Try the search term "sweet spot" ... https://www.google.com/search?q=cricket bat sweet spot physics

Also applies to other bats ...
physics.usyd.edu.au said:
Batters know from experience that there is a sweet spot on the bat, about 17 cm from the end of the barrel, where the shock of the impact, felt by the hands, is reduced to such an extent that the batter is almost unaware of the collision. At other impact points, the impact is usually felt as a sting or jarring of the hands and forearm, particularly if the impact occurs at a point well removed from the sweet spot.
http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~cross/baseball.html
 
Last edited: