• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What is the tangential speed of a satellite in this orbit?

• Thread starter soyger
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Suppose that a satellite is in a circular orbit at a height of 2.00x10^6 m above Earth's surface. What is the tangential speed of a satellite in this orbit?

Homework Equations

vt=rw

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been stuck for almsot 30 minutes, I think that the height is the radius but then I have no method of finding the angular speed.

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor
What formulas do you know that relate to circular motion? How about gravity?

i think im supposed to use the one i put here, but im not sure

gneill
Mentor
You can use it, but clearly it alone is not sufficient to answer the question. You yourself have said that you don't know what ω is.

Also, you should recognize the difference between radius and height above surface.

You can use it, but clearly it alone is not sufficient to answer the question. You yourself have said that you don't know what ω is.

Also, you should recognize the difference between radius and height above surface.
o sorry, w is the angular speed.

gneill
Mentor
o sorry, w is the angular speed.
Yes, but you don't have a value for it. So clearly you need more information to proceed.

You'll have to pull out what you know about circular motion and gravitation.

I dont really know much, i missed two days due to and am kinda behind? Do you have any thought on solving the question?

gneill
Mentor
I suggest that you check your textbook for circular motion, centripetal acceleration, force due to gravity, gravitational acceleration.

You could also search the forum for similar topic threads to see how others have approached this sort of problem. Even Google will probably turn up relevant examples if you're clever about the keywords.

I'm sorry that I can't do more than offer hints and suggested topics to investigate -- it's forum policy to have the student do the work solving the problems.