What Is the Temperature Coefficient of a Car Battery Resistor at 0 Degrees?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Mango12
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Starting a car: the voltage drops from 12V to 7.2 V, it is 0 degrees out, and 150 amps are pulled from the car. What is the temperature coefficient of the resistor?

I have NO idea how to do this. Help please!
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mango12 said:
Starting a car: the voltage drops from 12V to 7.2 V, it is 0 degrees out, and 150 amps are pulled from the car. What is the temperature coefficient of the resistor?

I have NO idea how to do this. Help please!

Hi Mango! ;)

We'll need more information.

From the information you provided, we can only tell that:
$$R_o = \frac{7.2 \text{ V}}{150\text{ A}} \\
R_i = \frac{4.8 \text{ V}}{150\text{ A}}
$$
where $R_i$ is the internal resistance of the battery, and $R_o$ is the outer resistor.

We would need for instance a reference resistance at room temperature of the battery to say anything about temperature coefficient.
Is any such given? (Wondering)
 
I like Serena said:
Hi Mango! ;)

We'll need more information.

From the information you provided, we can only tell that:
$$R_o = \frac{7.2 \text{ V}}{150\text{ A}} \\
R_i = \frac{4.8 \text{ V}}{150\text{ A}}
$$
where $R_i$ is the internal resistance of the battery, and $R_o$ is the outer resistor.

We would need for instance a reference resistance at room temperature of the battery to say anything about temperature coefficient.
Is any such given? (Wondering)

Hey there! Thanks for replying, but I solved this problem on my own before I saw your post.