What Is the Tension in Each Pedestal of a Diving Board?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
bjt223
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A diver of weight 582 N stands at the end of a uniform 4.48-m diving board of weight 142N The board is attached by two pedestals 1.55 m apart. Find the tension in each of the two pedestals.

Homework Equations



Torque= force x distance
Torque = Rotational Interia x angular acceleration or I=mr^2
Friction= usN

The Attempt at a Solution



So far I just draw a body diagram. I got no x-component based on the fact there no force and for vertical component is gravity facing down. I don't know what else to include, plus how can I find a torque.

Help me if you can, thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can pick any point as the point of rotation (since it is not rotating), so pick the point of contact of one of the pedestals.
set up an equation balancing all "CW" torques with all "CCW" torques. Just imaging each applied force trying to rotate the board around that point of contact.