1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the tension in the coupling

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    An inter city Express locomotive pulls 14 cars, each with a mass of 53,000 kg. What is the tension in the coupling between the thrid and fourth cars when the acceleration of the train is 0.26m/s.

ok so im looking for T.
    F=ma
    53000(0.26) = T?
    i dont think this is correct because they mentioned 3,4 cars
    or was that just random?

I dont know at all.

Added:
    a) What is the minimum time in which one can hoist a 1.00-kg rock height of 10.0m if the string used to pull the rock up has a breaking strength of 10.8 N? Assume the rock to be initially at rest.
    b) If the string is replaced by one that is 50% stronger, by what percentage will the minimum time for the hoist be reduced.

alright a) i just used a= 2(x-xo)/t^2 and then i got 2(10)/t^2 = 10.8/1
    so i got 10.8=20/t^2 and so t would be root 10.8 but the answer is 4.5s... why??

b) i need to get a) to solve this...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2006 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Don't you have an idea about the whole system?

Your whole system is 14 cars, being pulled by a train with an acceleration of 0.26 m/s^2. Think about the problem of the 3 blocks (between each block there's a string) being pulled by a force F.

4. Nov 13, 2006 #3
    so there is T1 T2 and T3 and i have to find T3.
    isnt T3
    F=ma
    F= (m1+m2+m3).26
    so it would be 3(53000)(0.26) = T?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?