What is the Theoretical Energy Density of Inflation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
7 replies · 4K views
chasrob
Gold Member
Messages
185
Reaction score
58
I need the theoretical energy density of inflation for my story. I seem to recall it as an enormous 1095 ergs per cubic centimeter.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's one estimate-
energy density-inflation.jpg

https://universe-review.ca/R02-13-inflation.htm

Seems to be around 1095 ergs/cc
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have a link to another estimate? A paper perhaps? I seem to remember a mass density of 1076 grams/cc that I read somewhere.
Thanks.
 
Hornbein said:
A septillion.
You're right. Maybe it's a typo for mass density equivalent, using e=mc2?
 
If anyone cares, the reason I ask has to do with the “physics” of my story. If someone/some entity releases more power than the Planck power, 3.63 x 1052 W, the result is that a volume of space centered on the “release” is rendered into inflationary space and it undergoes a Big Rip and pinches off into another, disjoint, dimension. Destroying all matter within the volume in the process.

My protagonist, a super-powered being, threatens some enormously powerful aliens who consequently construct an artificial humanoid who can release 9.77E163 ergs/s with one punch. And according to my shaky calcs that many ergs would render a cube of space 105,000 light years on a side into inflationary space. Milky Way, galaxy-size volume.

Another odd thing… if the humanoid, Debra, holds back and only hits with 1E95 ergs/s of power, only 1 cubic centimeter would be affected. Little or no collateral damage from that enormous energy release!
 
chasrob said:
Uh, oh. Ned Wright, https://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmo_constant.html says 1071 g/cc. Quite a difference. Ten trillion or so? The figure above has somewhere 1094 to 1097?
Oops, my bad. I misinterpreted Wright. I failed to notice that he represented energy density as g/cc, not ergs/cc. Using e=mc2, I get 1091-92 ergs/cc. Closer to the value in the figure above.