What is the time taken for these 2 cars to meet?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nyrychvantel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cars Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
nyrychvantel
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Two cars, P and Q, are 1400m apart.
P is traveling at 15 ms-1, Q is accelerating from rest at 5.0 ms-2
They are traveling opposite direction(i.e. they are facing each other), what is the time taken for them to meet?
Also, what is the distance traveled by each car before meeting each other?

Homework Equations



a = [tex]\frac{v-u}{t}[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



I got a = 5t, but it did not seem to help much...
Do I have to draw a graph for this question?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
nyrychvantel said:

Homework Statement



Two cars, P and Q, are 1400m apart.
P is traveling at 15 ms-1, Q is accelerating from rest at 5.0 ms-2
They are traveling opposite direction(i.e. they are facing each other), what is the time taken for them to meet?
Also, what is the distance traveled by each car before meeting each other?

Homework Equations



a = [tex]\frac{v-u}{t}[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



I got a = 5t, but it did not seem to help much...
Do I have to draw a graph for this question?

No, just write out the position dependence over time for the two cars and equate. Assume Car 1 to b at x=0 and the second car to be at x=1400
Use
S=u*t+0.5*a*t*t (for the accelerated motion) (Use negative sign for acceleration)
S=v*t (for the constant velocity motion)
 
Thank you!
I forgot I can use area under a V-T graph of constant acceleration (and sub v=at) to get the total distance traveled by car Q.